hey again everyone!

I had the PPH surgery performed tuesday of last week, and ive been feeling quite a bit better every day. The doctor informed me that my case was the worst he had ever seen in someone my age (22) and he's a colorectal surgeon so im assuming he had seen a few. My question is, before surgery I had a lot of prolapsing and now I am still having some prolapsing, but perhaps not as bad as before surgery; the prolapsing retracts much quicker than before but is this normal or should I be worried? The doc seemed to think I was progressing fine when I asked his nurse and she asked him and got back to me. I'm just terrified of having to have them cut out or something like that, but I have heard around these forums and from elsewhere that the stapling procedure takes months before the blood flow is completely cut off to the prolapsing hemorrhoids.

Any light you guys/gals could possibly shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated, this board has been an absolute life saver thus far.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I'm glad to hear that your surgery went so well. It sounds like despite the difficulty you were having that things have recovered nicely. I'm not sure if your prolapse problem will mean that you need further surgery. Has it been improving or does it seem to be the same day by day? If it's not improving, I imagine that would mean more surgery, although I would hate to speculate. Does anyone else know? Have you spoken to your doctor about it? Thanks for keeping us posted.

Hey and thanks for the reply!

The prolapsing is continuing, today I had absolutely no bleeding with my BM which was really exciting haha (it's funny what you get excited about after you have a surgery like this). The length of time the prolapsing has been lasting is much much much less than pre-surgery. From what I understand, and I will find out more when I meet with my urologist and colorectal surgeon tomorrow, but it takes weeks if not months for the blood supply to those prolapsing hemorrhoids to have their blood supply completely cut off, however I'm beginning to realize that it probably will never be 100% cured (that's what I get for going with the PPH over an -ectomy).

Stool softeners and fiber have been a godsend. The catheter is super annoying and I think it may be the culprit for some of this added swelling and discomfort, however I get it out tomorrow and HOPEFULLY I can finally pee without its aid.

Also, for anyone dealing with the constant urge to go like I have been after a PPH or hemorrhoidectomy surgery, I am pleased to say that that urge finally went away yesterday, and I'm sure it will start getting even better day by day, so there is hope! (what a horrible feeling though)

That's actually great news! And I guess it's probably a good idea that you went with the PPH instead of an -ectomy instead because it sounds like you are recovering from the surgery much faster than if you'd had the other procedure done. I think you're also right with guessing that the catheter is causing some discomfort and swelling, as it often can. Please keep us posted on what the urologist and surgeon say--but in the meantime, thank you for posting on your experiences. It's invaluable to other member of the forums.

I had the THD procedure about 5 weeks ago. About a week post op, a huge hem popped out and was amazingly painful (I had tried to teach and had to excuse the class early). I went back to the doc the next day and she pushed it back in and said she was hopeful that with the decreased blood supply it would shrink to nothing.

5 weeks post op, that thing is still popping out with every BM. It is MUCH smaller now and not very painful and much easier to push back inside. However the doc said that because it is covered with skin tissue, the only way to rid myself of it was the old fashioned way, cutting it out. Because it is only one and it is small, she said the recovery would be much faster than normal.

I am not at all ready to undergo this procedure so am waiting for another month at least to see what happens. Since it is not painful, I can cope with it. Of course I would prefer not to and will probably have it removed later on (as soon as I can forget the last 5 weeks!).

However, even with this issue, I can finally say that I am glad I had the procedure done. I can cleanse thoroughly and have very little pain (compared to pre-surgery days). I noticed that I am taking fewer sitz baths (my former best friends) and no pain pills.

In another few weeks I hope to report that the stubborn hem has disappeared. Good luck to you!