For the last 3 years there hasn't been a day where I haven't had a runny nose, or sneezed at least 20 times. This all started suddenly 3 summers ago, a friend had been over and had a bit of a cold, and I assume that I got it from her. Weirdly enough, that had also been the first year that I hadn't suffered from hayfever in my life.

I've been in to see local doctors, and at this point they are all just sending me around in circles and suggesting things that I've already tried. I've tried sinus pills, allergy pills, gotten countless x-rays, tried nasal sprays, even moved to a new place, thinking it was something in the 60 year old house we'd been living in for the last 2 years, but nothing is helping. Any scent can set me off sneezing for minutes, and I can't go anywhere without packing tissues around with me. It's embarassing to go out anywhere at all because I suddenly start sneezing or get a runny nose, and my nose is constantly sore and dry from all the tissue I have to use. I also have a really time getting much sleep, as I wake up usually one or two times in the night because I suddenly feel like I have to sneeze, and I'm unable to fall back asleep until after I sneeze...and by then I'm usually too annoyed to be able to fall back asleep easily.

After looking things up online I thought it might be sinusitis, but after further searching I came across an article about perennial rhinitis, which seems pretty much dead on, however since it takes weeks to get into my doctor, I figured I'd see if anyone here had any input on this before I mention it to him. I'd appreciate any help, or suggestions anyone might have. I'd really like to get this resolved, or at least have some ideas of other things I should be looking into that may help.

I see that you posted this in 2010. My daughter has pretty much the same symptoms as you. She has had turbinate surgery and has been tested for all environmental and food allergies, she does not appear to have ANY. We've spent the last year at doctors and nothing has touched this. Curious if you ever got any resolution.

I know this post is pretty old but...  Have you tried sinus washing (nasal irrigation) like a neti pot?  If you have any irritants in your sinuses, this can help flush it out.

Just looking in to it now because i have developed these symptoms. It could be chronic sinusitis, although i don't know if yo've had this looked in to already considering it seems to be pretty common.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001670/   <----------- See if this page helps.

Quote:

Have the same problem. This started after a stint and I started taking blood thinnet pills, Plavix. I think t6hats the cause of my problem.
Larry

I have been having these symptoms since I was 7 (14 years ago). Eventually you get used to them. I took nasal spray and that helped a little though sometimes started me running on a day I might ave otherwise had off. I took antihistemines (claratine) in the mornings for about six months and that helped sometimes, though I stopped so I didn't build up a resistance. On a really really REALLY bad streak if you absolutely need a break or you will go mental, Phanergan is the atomic bomb of antihistamine. Talk to your doctor though because Phanergan is dangerously strong. I try not to go near it until I'm pulling out hair with stress and pain. BEST REMEDY EVARRR a hot shower followed by a hot tea in bed. It won't stop runny nose but it will make it easier to blow all the gunk out and I find it settles the itchy/tingling that you get from constantly blowing.

All of the sudden i got this awful runny nose im sneezing 24 7 and its really annoying idk how but its not getting any better i tried so much to fix it.

HI - I really really sympathise - I have started exactly the same thing - constant, contstant sneezing accompnaied with a streaming nose - colourless runny mucous, just like water. It also wakes me at night and yes, it disrupts the entire night's sleep. Also I agree - very embarrassing - you can be talking to somebody and suddenly you need a tissue; its so rapid that you often can't get to a tissue in time! I have also tried phenegren and chlorephetamine anti-histamines but they don't work at all! I am going to look into it further and may get back to you! Paula

thanks paula I hope you will find the best medicine as soon as possible

I get all them symptoms, i do NOT smoke, do NOT have pets, i polish every 2 days, i hoover every day and i wash/shower twice a day morning and night...do DrKillpaitient...what do you recommend now id**t!!

Interesting, Drkillpatiient, that you can ASSUME without even knowing this person. Perhaps you should look into another site - maybe a "support" site for people such as yourself. People are out here with valid problems and are out here looking for help, not to be judged. By the way, I am not judging you - I don't know you, I'm only replying to your assuming reponse.

My boyfriend has the same problem.. sometimes he sneezes upto 20times in a row... he gets a runny nose with colourless mucus.. finally he is so exhausted he tries to sleep..but that doesnt help either cause he doesnt fall asleep...he ends up with a pain in the chest and head...i feel so sorry for the poor thing but there really isnt much i can do..once my mom asked him to smell in some water steam..that helped a bit..if anyone has a solution it will be really helpful...

yep. you are rude.

I have the same problem. Antihistamines don't seem to work any more. I'm seeing a herbalist, who's made a tincture for me so I'll see if that works. The active ingredient she's put in for my allergies is Astragalus. I've also been reading about sulphites (in wine) being a potential culprit, so I'm (somewhat mournfully) going to cut out wine for the time being and see if that makes a difference. Apart from that, I suspect it's our over-polluted environment causing my allergies. There are chemicals in our home-building materials and household products that weren't used widely in the past, and lots of air pollution. When I lived overseas I didn't have allergies; they began when I returned to London. I noticed the difference in air quality straight away - there are numerous more cars and aeroplanes than there used to be. I grew up in London and didn't have allergies as a child.

Sorry, mistake in my above post: astragalus is for something else. It's elderfloweries for the allergies!