hi i play cricket and i hurt my shoulder bowling right at the front of my shoulder and i was wondering if i did get a cortisone injection would i be able to play for the next 5 months carrying this injury? wud it get rid of the pain so i can bowl?

I HAD A SHOT IN MY ARMPIT FOR MY COLLARBONE AND SHOULDER. 3 DAYS AFTER THE SHOT I AM FEELING DIZZY AND SICK HEADACHE SORE THROAT NUMBNESS IN MY RIGHT ARM WHICH IT DID HELPTO BE ABLE TO LIFT BUT WILL I GET SICKER BECAUSE I DO NOT LIKE THE FEELING I FELL AT WORK AND HURT MY WHOLE RIGHT SIDE... THATS WHY THEY GAVE ME A SHOT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I had my first (and only...never again) injection in my shoulder. By that night my blood pressure elevated from 123/60 to 160/105, became dizzy and queezy, my face flushed to a burning reddish-purple color, my heart rate increased-accompanied by palpitations. I was given an EKG by the physician the following day, sent home with the direction that if my dizziness and BP exceeded 160/107 to seek emergency attention....oh, and a list of hospitals in my area. All this after I asked about possible side effects, not to mention the injection hurt like hell!!

Good luck with whatever you decide, your fate appears to be in your hands.

i went in for shoulder pain i've had for 3 months, i thought i pulled something in my shoulder while working out. the doc said the x-rays show a slight tear in the cartilage between the shoulder blade and my left arm... i think that's what she said... she recommended a cortisone injection. i'm 33 and never had any serious injuries, just pulled muscles here and there... i figured since working out for 3 months hasn't fixed the problem maybe this injection will.

for 3 days post injection the pain got worse but i think that was just pain from the injection site. my shoulder pain has not subsided but the reverse happened, it got more acute... 2 weeks later my shoulder is still in pain and it's more apparent than ever.

before the injection the pain was dull and only apparent when moving my arm... now the pain is acute and apparent when arm is just hanging, movement is difficult but i suck it up. i called the doc a few days ago and her assistant told me different people react differently, she told me to give it another week and take anti-inflammatory medication. :-(

i spoke to a few folks who had gotten cortisone injections before and they all had instant relief... i dont know what my deal is but i think maybe she injected me in the wrong spot... going to wait another week then get a second opinion

Hi - cortisone shots are NO big deal. I've had three in my shoulder and two in my knee. They don't hurt at all, especially if they're done right - both times the needle went in the opposite side of the injury. I do think it's good to rest the limbs affected for a couple of days, and then the effect is better later. I was restless the first night though. But the pain free effect lasts for months, at least for me - for my knee it was about a year. So I'd definitely keep doing it as long as the doc says it's OK!

I got a cortisone shot today and was just looking to see if it was supposed to hurt as bad as it did. From what I've found on medical websites it shouldn't have, but according to people who have had it it was horrible. Mine was absolutely awful, I've never felt pain like it and it hurt even worse than tearing my rotator cuff. I'm hoping that it helps quickly, but I will never get the injection again unless it produces a miracle for my previous pain. I would use the shot as an all time last resort, I've never had something so painful!

I had the same experience several years ago. My shoulder was hurting so bad I couldn't sleep. When my son got home from his 3d shift job he took me to the ER. They gave me a shot that first numbed it up then the cortisone went in. When we got in his truck to go home I was able to close the truck door with that arm and I was thrilled. By 3:00 in the afternoon it began to hurt again and by 6:00 pm I was in serious pain and considering going back to the ER. It was hurting worse than it did before the shot and it was the worst pain I have ever felt. The pain after my bypass surgery was nothing compared to this. That lasted until about 9:00 pm when it began to subside and by 11:00 when I went to bed it was not too bad and I was able to get to sleep. The shoulder was a lot better after that and over the next few months it returned to normal and it has been fine ever since.

I mentioned the experience to my doctor's assistant at my next physical and she agreed that most of their patients experience a similar effect. I guess the only reason they don't tell you what it will be like is because you probably wouldn't have it done if you knew how bad it was going to be.

I think it would be nice to be forewarned about the timing of the upcoming pain and later relief so you wouldn't worry like I did when it begins to hurt like hell a few hours after.

Hello

A month ago I fell on ice and landed on my shoulder. The pain was immediate along with imparied range of motion. I drove mys elf to the Doctors who took x-rays to rule out broken bones. I then was given a very strong NSAI D which was normally given to those who have Rheumatoin Arthritus and was set up for physical therapy. Pain was constant and made worse with movement. Pain also increased if I let my should in one position for too long as myuscles would stiffen. If I walked for tool long my arm shoulder would hurt for letting the arm hang down too long without support. However if I used a sling for too long the muscles would tighten up and become painful. I ould not sleep lying down and had to sleeip sitting up on the couch which was supprisingly not so unconfortable.

I've just come back (a month after the original fall) from the orthopedic doctor and he is diagnosing a possible rotator cuff tear and is setting up an MRI. During the visit he injected into my shoulder and mixture of novicane and corticoid steroid. He first sprayed my back temporally freezing my shoulder. The injection was painful but for a brief period of time. The pain has reduced and changed. Originally I had no outward swelling but their was swelling withing the joint. So I have a slightly better range of motion with less pain. The pain is no longer an aching pain but a sharp pain that comes if I move the shoulder too much. I may have to give it more time to see the final results. Having said that I ahve to waint for the MRI resluts to see the severity of the injury which will determine the need for surgury.

I had a herniated disc on my right shoulder because i fell and pushed a bad disc on top of the good one so Mayo Clinic removed the bad one and now it feels good.I had a lot of severe headaches before also. You need to ask your Dr. a lot of questions.Mine was found on M.R.I.'s so you need to ask about your herniated disc.as i had no shots before surgery. i also had severe pain in my neck and shoulders

I had a cortisone shot on my shoulder a week ago and i have more pain than ever, does it take more than a week to feel any relief??????

Read my post a little ways up.

I had a cortisone shot for shoulder pain yesterday morning, it wasn't bad at all. Now the should pain is barely there and tomorrow should be and even better day.

No it wasnt very painful at all - had the shot Thursday March 29/2012

hello stormy. just had two shots in my shoulders, at least once a year i get them in my hip. it will help you so much. my pain was gone th next day in both shoulder/ i have a wonderful doctor who can give me these injection without feeling pain when the needles goes into the bone. just be sure your doctor has given these shots before. lol take care god bless

I had a cortizone shot in my shoulder abour 5-6 years ago. I've had no pain since. Untio that time I had 55 physical therapy treatments, thre per week. They did nothing to help the pain.