Hello! I am 43 years old and few nights ago I felt strong pain in my left shoulder. Ever since that night it hurt from time to time. Usually the pain occurs when I try to lift my arm above my shoulder, or when I try to hold something a bit heavy with that arm. I can’t even try to rotate my arm because the one time I tried it hurt too much. I suppose that I hurt some muscle or stretched some ligament. I am taking some ibruphen to ease the pain but it helps less every time I use it again. I heard that doctors usually prescribe steroid injections in the painful shoulder syndrome. Have anyone had them? Are they any good in stopping the pain?

Hi! Yes, I had a cortisone injections but that is because I have an AC joint arthritis. You should best go to the doctor yourself and see if maybe your pain is not a symptom of that condition too. And in any case, who better than the doctor to advise you on how to stop the pain. The worst thing you can do is treat yourself and ignore the symptoms.

Hello! I had them also. Injections of steroids help many shoulder problems and not only arthritis. The injection reduces the inflammation and then you can move your shoulder more comfortably. If you have an injection remember to be careful not to use your shoulder for anything too strenuous in the first 2 weeks after it. Also remember that sometimes the pain may be worse the night following the injection. Don’t be afraid if it does, it does not mean that it has gone wrong. But if it continues too long see your doctor. For many people an injection is all that is needed to allow recovery, but for some people the problem can come back and in this case you may need more investigations. Good luck!