The shot is very painful, the pain will last about 48 hrs, then it should subside. But it is far greater than the original shoulder pain

I was told to ice it. Not heat it. I got two shots today in my shoulder joint.

yes me too, I also had my first cortizone jab 3 days ago and like you, I am wondering when the pain will stop?

I have an impingement in my right shoulder and facing surgery after a second round of cortisone shots, the shots hurt like hell, numb my shoulder for a day and do nothing for my range of motion.  As has been stated on this board they are a fix not a cure.

7 years ago I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder, I had a work related injury and I had ,had pain for 6 mnths.
The shot worked marvelously BUT for the first 24-48hrs the pain was worse but the Dr had warned me of this so I was prepared
I have been pain free for 7 years well worth it!

Just got one today about an hour ago, the spray is really cold (prior to the shot) and as the liquid gets into you..you can feel a tolerable burn for few seconds....I will be able to tell you more later on today..(it was my first time)

I've been getting cortisone for years. I first got it, in my hip, then my hip was replaced in 1994, and is still hanging in. I got it in my 2 knees and my left shoulder, for some time. Now I get it, in my left knee (right knee has been replaced). I get it also in both shoulders. My left shoulder is far worse than my right. I don't get any freezing spray first. After about an hr., on the first day, I get very sore, and laze around, for rest of the day. I use ice packs, etc. By the next day, I'm pretty good. Now, I do get 6 shots...2 in each joint. That is a lot. They used to last 3 months, but now it is down to 2 months. I'm hanging in, this time, and trying to go 4 months. I wish you the best.

Hi, I got a cortisone shot yesterday because I was diagnosed with calcific tendonitis. I would advise you to take ibuprofen right after getting the shot. Once the numbness wears off, you will feel pain. The day after the shot your arm will hurt. It feels like the pain you experience when you get a Tetanus shot, except the pain is more intense.. Good luck, I cant wait for tomorrow when my arm feels like new.

Hi, I was diagnosed with the same thing after an xray, and had a shot. I was expecting it to be much worse than it really was. I was amazed at how much better it was right afterwards because of the numbing stuff that's in the shot. They warned me that it would be achy the next day, but it still wasnt as bad as the pain before the injection...but it is still pretty painful. I had the shot on Monday and today is Saturday, I don't know if it just needs more time or if maybe I have another issue since I do have a lot of joint pain anyway as well as herniated discs in my upper back. Its so frustrating to hurt all of the time in one place or the other, and its so hard to do anything like housework, yardwork, or even taking a shower as I'm sure all of you have experienced. I feel like I'm just watching everyone else live their lives.

I do get cortisone shots in my shoulders and one knee. The shots don't totally take the pain away. They just make it easier to live with the pain. The cortisone, dulls the pain down. I hurt constantly all over...joints are no good at all. I'm used to this feeling, and really you have to learn to live with chronic pain, and have a good attitude. I've had a hip replacement, and one knee so far. My two rotators are ripped through, but hey that's life. You have to play the hand you've drawn. By Saturday, your shoulder should have felt a lot better. I do walk, do water aerobics, ride my bike, and do a little yoga. Try to keep active.

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder yesterday for impingement. I have read many posts that say the shot is not painful. Mine hurt like hell and hurts a lot more today. I asked the PA if she would prescribe a pain med and she just said, "No". I am not a wussy...have had 4 joint replacement surgeries. I think the medical profession has many workers who just don't give a damn about other people's pain...Others, of course, are truly wonderful, compassionate folks. It's just a c**p shoot which you get.

i can understand about the shaving under the arm lol i got the same problem i go for my first jab next friday so scary but heard it will be worth it and to get a nights sleep will be grand

I'm scheduled for shots in both shoulders. My Dr. numbs the skin with spray then uses a thin needle to inject novicane or equal substance. After that the bigger needle with a longer term pain killer (2 to 3 hours he says) and the cortisone..... I hate needles and am a bit concerned. I can't continue like things are, I guess only time will tell if I've chosen the right course.

You can go up to page 2 to read my experience. It was certainly worth it because I'm still pain free 6 years later. However I'm not looking forward to having it done again because it was painful. They gave me the whole dose in one shot. Dr. said the first part out of the needle was a pain killer then the good stuff. Did it in the morning and the pain didn't start until the afternoon and was excruciating by evening. By bedtime it wasn't too bad and by morning it was mainly just a memory. The shoulder was still a little troublesome for several weeks but kept getting better until it was just like new. Would have avoided a lot of stress if they'd told me what was going to happen.

Hi, I just got a shot yesterday afternoon in my shoulder. the first thing that happen is that my BP dropped. I got real pale and sweaty,for a few mins.  then i was back to normal.  my shoulder got nume. an most of the pain went. the other thing is in some people your blood sugar goes up. again it happens,mine spicked at 346 now its back to normal.  its morning an my shoulder is stiff an my movement has been cut by a 1/3,but most of the pain is gone. we ll see what else happens.  hange in there i ll get better.