I've gove over a load of articles related to the symptons that I'm experiencing and not one seems to hit the dot.

I used to smoke ciggerattes and marijuana for about 1.5 years pretty regularly and all that is no doubt the cause of what I'm suffering now.

Now that I've really quit, I haven't smoked a ciggarette or anything else for more than a month now and every morning I wake up with phlegm yellow in color. Throughout the day (I lose track) I'm constantly spitting up thick, white phlegm though its not colored. Some days its varys over thickness and how often I may do have to spit, but it never really goes away.

I believe it's a lack of cilia in my throat which is trying to regenerate and sweep gunk to my throat, but the yellow phlegm in the morning has me worried.

Is there any way to reduce and get rid of all this spitting I'm forced to do because of this gross phlegm?

I am in the same boat as you, but smoked for about 10 years. It has been about a month and a half for me, but still continue to cough lots of phlegm and battle respiratory infections. Any updates on your situation?

A cough is always a fact of the life and you have to keep that in your mind. Actually, according to statistics, there are over 200 totally different viruses that can cause coughs and colds. No one, but no one is immune to them. What is the phlegm color in your case? As you can see, this is not something that affects smokers, it can affect anyone, and it can cause an infection. If you don't heal it, it can turn into a chronic cough, which is not good because this type of a cough can also be caused by reflux. Investigate it. 

I've smoked nothing... Ever.
Yet every morning I cough up a ton of phlegm. I actually have to try and make myself throw up most of the time, because I am so congested.

If it is the least bit chilly out, I find the phlegm coming back, and I constantly have to spit it out. Frankly, it's disgusting me, and probably others.

Help!

Usually when there is an accumulation of excessive phlegm in the body it is due to an accumulation of toxins in the our system built up after years or months of a unhealthy diet/lifestyle.
In particular for ex-smokers, after you quit smoking your body tries to get rid of all those toxins, poisons accumulated in your system with smoking, so one of the ways it tries to clean itself is through phlegm, however it is important to get rid of this phlegm by eating foods that will allow the body to detoxify itself and cleanse itself naturally. By avoiding dairy products (mainly phlegm producint foods) and foods high in sugar and maybe having short fasts, where you drink only water, it will allow your body to cleanse itself. Or else you could be stuck with this phlegm problem indeterminately and prescription medicine will only temporarily alleviate the problem, not cure it. Changing your diet, to include more foods of cleansing nature (foods that help to clean out the intestines such as red cabbage, lemon, and others) will be a good start in reducing that disgusting phlegm, of course you will not notice this right away, but fasting (short fasting) such as a 12 or 24 hr fast can be very beneficial to the body. When we are suffering from excessive phlegm, our body is trying to tell us that we are all stuffed up, not only our pulmonary system but probably our digestive system too is clogged with toxins, and remnants of badly digested food. Lemon is excellent for cutting phlegm. Try having some hot water with the juice of half or whole lemon every morning half an hour before any food, and also have one in the evening... you might start to feel a difference in a week or so. The lemon cuts through the phlegm and helps to expel it faster. I would recommend that you read a bood called " The Miracle of Fasting" Look for the author's name online (I forgot). You might not agree about all he says in his book, but his main points, the importance of fasting and drinking plenty of good water is definitely worth trying. Try some of the advice in his books and see for yourself if you will not see a difference, which I'm sure you will. Not only will you feel better but I think you might look better too. However caution with the fasting, make sure you do not go farther than what is recommended and fasting may not be recommended if you have certain complications or disease. The preceding is only from what I have read and tried, it works for me. I am not a medical doctor. So please proceed with caution. But I recommend you at least try, a little bit of fasting, inc. lemon in your water, rest, exercise and diet. Hopefully you might see some improvement.

Have you made any further determinations in this regard? I have a similar problem and smoked for about the same length of time. Please email me _[removed]_

Try oil pulling with sesame oil. cheers. s.

This is your bodys way to filter out the smoke damage from your lungs/throat, while you sleep it it pushed out of your body the only way it can be through your throat and by eventually spitting it out.

This is funny because I am experiencing every single symptom you guys have mentioned. I've been smoking for about 3 years, and ever since I've started it cutting back, I've noticed all this phlegm and congestion in my chest. So if our body is cleaning itself out, will this congestion and phlegm eventually go away?

I too am in the same boat and have been for the last three years. I wish it could stop. Has anyone been able to find a solution?

I've got to agree with the person writing about the fasting. I've got lots of excess phlegm and when I fast for a day or two, it reduces considerably.

reduces considerably for how long? a few hours or days?

I have never smoked, but I grew up in a home full of second hand smoke. My sinus drainage problems occurred when I was pregnant with my third child. I develeoped pregnance induced rhinitis. After I had my baby, which I was promised by the ObGynie that giving birth would elminate the hormones that was causing all the ear and nose stuffiness, the problem would go away. Well it didn't. I ended up having sinus surgery and tubes put in my ears. My child is now 16 years old and I am still having problems with post nasal congestion. I feel like I am choking. I"ve even explored the possiblity that the drainage isn't sinus, but coming up from my stomach. Some ppl have drainage in their throats and do the constant throat clearing and the problem is GERD, not sinus drainage, but I guess it is possible to have both going on at the same time. I am with the person who wrote that cold air makes the condition worse and that is the case with me. If I get out in cold air, it is like a phlegm magnifier. The junk gets really thick and I am experiencing a lot of ear popping. It is distressing. I used to could sing very well, now my voice is ruined.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would clear my voice up enough to start singing again??? I've tried Robitussin on a daily basis, but it tastes so bad I can't stand it. I do know that drinking milk makes the secretions thicker. I have tried warm water gargles with lemon and honey and that is soothing, but it doesn't make the problem go away. I 've tried nonsedating antihistamines, but I think all that does is cause a rebound effect and the stuff comes back thicker than ever. I've also been doing saline nasal washes throughout the day which also helps. And Vick's Vapor Rub under my nose and a humidifier in the bedroom at night seem to help.

I don't know of a cure or a good medicine, but to reduce phlegm try a teaspoon or so of vinegar in a glass of water.

i too am on the same boat .. the only extra thing is that i just got a viral infection in my stomach to add to more phlem,fever,headacheache,nausea. but ive only been smoking mj for 6 - 7 months