Hi. I`m 24 yo male. I`m a runner and recently I have experienced some sort of a sharp, stabbing pain in my chest, while running. It feels like some sort of a bubble ready to burst. When the pain comes, I try to catch my breath and not to breathe in or breathe out too much because it’s really very painful either way. After that, the pain is gone. What is this pain that I feel? Is it my heart?

Hi. Well, many people mistakenly believe that they are having a heart attack, but it only seems like the heart. I have experienced such sharp, stabbing pain in my chest and my doc has told me that it is not a heart attack. It is not even heart related. I was diagnosed with precordial catch syndrome (PCS). It is the most common cause of recurring chest pain. This sharp stabbing pain causes you to not want to move or breathe. The actual cause is unknown so far, but there is no danger, however. Anyway, people experiencing PCS need no treatment at all.

I was researching this (PCS) a little after seeing this thread, as i get the same symptoms only when i am running or doing anything cardiovascular. The harder i push myself the worse it gets. I've read it should last 30secs to 1 minute, but the as soon as i get it, it will not go away until i stop running. I have kept running sometimes as long as 20 minutes of pain, but then the pain was so incredible i had to stop.

i had this same problem, turns out i had a tear in the cartilage between my ribs and sternum. If it doesnt go away after a while i'd see a dr

hi,
I had this problem from childhood and had seen a doc about it. He assured me that its not a problem. But my pain usually goes away within a minute. If it persists you must see a doc.

I have a no fail remedy for this problem. I believe it to be an air bubble that lodges itself between the outer lung and adjacent cavity. I have also noticed that when I breath out more of my breath, then the air bubble climbs further into the upper crevis and it is more painfull to breathe in pinching the air bubble. I tried this one day thinking it would disloge the air bubble. I layed with my rear end on the couch, then put my head on the floor, and began patting my chest where the pain was, and presto, the air bubble was gone. I have used this remedy on more than one occation. as well I have used this method on two other people... on one woman I tiped her over in an easey boy chair, and she began patting the hurt area, and presto the air bubble was "out of there" On another occation I parked my car on a verry steep hill, and leaned the womans seat back in the car, she began patting the huring area, and again it worked. I would like to experimant with breathing in and out while patting the chest upside down, I have the feeling that that could further aid in dislodging the air bubble. better than pinching the air bubble by taking a deep breath, who knows if you will be fortunate enough to pop the bubble out, I know this, if you do that it's gonna feel like you just got a knife jabbed between your lung, and outer cavity! I hightly recomend not giving up until you are compleately upside down, thats the key. written and coposed by James Christian Yother (A man with a plan)

hi i am a 16 year old boy when i run full out for a bout a minite the amets pain will start or if i do any other activerty that i have to cach my breath for the feels like it is in my heart and when i feel my pules it is beating so fast sometimes it is so bad i feel i mite colapes any1 no wat it is please?

the same happens to me
16 yo female. not out of shape though.
when i run the stabbing pin starts and hurts so bad i have to stop. and it continues.
my heart pounds and my heart, not lungs experience the stabbing pain.
i have ( instablility) hip dysplasyia when i move my lgs outward at a ccertain position, the leg bone will pop out and grind back n bery painfully. and enlarged vertibrae. so i wouldnt be surprised to find out smething else is medically wrng

The same exact thing happens to me. I can sprint a 100m just fine, but during warm-ups or a 10min jog, my heart hurts.

anonymous wrote:

Sometimes when I run I sh*t in my pants. It starts with some acute, relieving farts but eventually turns into a mobile mudslide. Its rather embarrassing and I cant even tell when its coming. Ive never had chest pain while running but this relates because when I sniff my Jockeys after the shitasstrophy I feel like Im going to have a heart attack!

honestly, I lol'd when I read this. Surely you're joking...

if this is PCS, then you might want to try taking a deep breath after stopping next time it happens. I stop, then prepare myself for a deep breath, and when I take the deep breath that's the last of my pain.

Hi I experience this too but not in my heart, sometimes after an extended amount of time playing football usually I get a sharp pain in my right lung.

That was an interesting experiment pawelski, if it actually works then many would be benefitted from it. Unfortunately, I myself, have no idea about it.

I had the same pain after doing hot yoga for the first time. I am only 21 and I thought I was having a heart attack. I immediately got myself checked at the doctor's and they told me it was just a muscle strain in the chest. Reminder: your heart is a muscle too. Just like any other muscle, when you strain it too much, it will hurt! Maybe try to reduce the intensity of your workouts. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

You most likely got a severe form of ETAP, a type of pain caused from over straining yourself during a run, I suggest drinking lots of water, preferably Smart Water because it has the electrolytes needed along with the detoxifying sensation you get from pure water.

I have the same pain I am a 14 yr old boy
I am not out of shape or in shape
I like to run but I can't due to this problem
In about 2 and a half weeks I am going to have echo and cardio-echo exams taken to see when my heart starts to hurt and to see whats wrong so I guess i should show them this