I have been waking up quite regularly and coughing up VERY Black stuff!! I have been on a diet for a while. I do not smoke, and it is the vilest tasting stuff in the world. It actually seems better if I am awake. I have slept on reclines, but this seems to just keep happening. I also have been under great amounts of stress.I also had a lap band a couple of years ago.

It could be your lymphatic system. GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!

Atrabilious phlegm is corrupted with morbid black bile, and is bitter in taste, sometimes acrid or sour. Its temperament is Cold and Dry, and it's thicker and stickier than bilious phlegm. The morbid black bile compromises the nutritive properties of the phlegm, and can be a chronic irritant to the organism. Atrabilious phlegm can also penetrate deep into the body.
Phlegm that's very sweet can either be due to excessive heat and moisture in the digestion and metabolism, or to amalgamation with the Sanguine humor. Sanguineous phlegm is thicker and stickier than ordinary phlegm, and can be seen in metabolic disorders like diabetes.

Did you figure out what was going on? Experiencing the same here....