what would that be a possible sign of?

do you smoke or chew tobacco?

heck yeh i smoke who dosn't!

Anyone who doesn't want to cough up brown chunks!

I smoke as well and often it is strictly associated with that. I have smoked for a fer years, and although I am only 24, when producing mucus, I sometimes see little brown specs in it. I have been informed that it isn't blood. It does, however, get worse when I have a cold. If you have no other symptoms, such as coughing or soar throat, you should be fine!

I will just ask you one question first. Do you have any problems with sinuses? The brown mucus or sometimes even red bloody mucus are signs of sinus infection. When they get inflamed they tend to bleed. And then this blood mixes with mucus that is secreted from the mucus membrane. If the bleeding from sinuses is not sever the blood turns to brown color causing you to cough the brown mucus.
Have you ever treated any sinus infections? I know a lot of people like to use herbal remedies to treat sinus infections. If nothing works for you your best option is that you visit a doctor. He can give you more detailed diagnosis and even run tests on your mucus.
Good luck,
Danella