My daughter is 17yrs old. She has been occasionally coughing up a very dark black stringy substance in flem. Her doctor said it is just dried blood, but she did not see it, & i am for sure it is not blood, it is too dark black. makes me think of black lung that coal miners would have. I am very concerned. Can you tell us anything that might help us know more? Thanks

Your daughter most likely smokes... tobacco or marijuana.

lol I really laughed at this poor daughter, she must have came to her mom saying, OH NO IM SPITTING BLACK SUBSTANCE, totally gave her away because only thing that can do that is weed... shes a toker, but mom please do not get to mad because if you do your research marijuana is much more healthy then tons of over the counter drugs, and MUCH more healthy then drinking.. :-) be nice

I don't agree with that. I don't smoke weed or cigarettes yet I cough up black strands in my phlegm quite often for a while now. This symptom is not only caused by marijuana.

I am getting black flem with a head cold and i think it might be from neibhouring fireplaces as I live in a sort of hollow and hot and cold air don't mix does anyone know for sure it this might be the case? I also don't smoke or not for 26 years. This is the first cold I have had in the last eight years but before this if I had flem it was creamy color not black.

I notice in my cough, black flem

same thing happened to me this morning. irs gross. I kinda flipped out and asked my mom. she said its my black eyeliner that gets in the tearducts and goes down the nose into the throat. so if she wears black eyeliner...thats all it is. nothing bad(: im 12 btw. just gotta be careful about it.

-_______- im not 12...im 15. even though im.4'11 DARN YOU KEYBOARD!!

Not sure that is right I've worn so much eye makeup an its never gone in my tear ducts an if so you would more than likely have problems with your tear ducts not coughing up black flem I can see how people would thik that though ask a dr.just to prove it to be so..;)

Look up tear ducts an see where it flows I've never heard of such a thing they get cloged but also by people who don't wear makeup..I think she don't want you to wear makeup give you a little scare..??

I know this is a very very late responce but I am very sorry to tell you that your 17 year old daughter is smoking something called a "popper" a popper consists of a ripped piece of tabaco that is inserted into a l tube known as a "p" piece. You then pack weed ontop , put it in a bong and slowly pull the smoke up, until the weed and tabcco hoot down the "p" piece making a "popping" sound . It causes it up black in their flem because the tabco particles are sitting in her airways, I garantee its usually when she wakes up in the morning . The doctor is unaware she is smoking so he assumes the best thing in his medical point of veiw. :) hope it helped !

How can you imply that someone smokes cigarettes or marijuana! It is people like you who need not ever go into the medical field. Everyone should not be judged on what happens to the norm.

Are you really serious? I hope not because if you are with those kinds of details your totally delusional and sick as can be. You should seek help immediately.

Exactly I agree it's the majority that helps you make that comparison

Best thing too do is not ask on some forum or online website but too get a professionals opinion and if your not satisfied with that find out what that professionals qualifications are and seek another with the qualifications and personality you trust if that doesn't work and your still worried seek help for yourself lol but it is the truth