:-( I have had a dark brown sinus drain for some time. Recently though I have seen a black sinus drain or dry blood as I am told. I have not seen it since but it has only been a couple of days. I chewed tobacco for 19 years, recenly quiting. I snore heavely and my mouth is often dry and my gums bleed slightly. I also have always had allergies and am currently taking shots for this.My doctor is not that concerned right now. Should I be?

YES, CONSULT ANOTHER DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY - HAD UNCLE DIE OF CANCER OF THE LUNGS AND HIS MUCOUS DRAINAGE SOUNDS SIMILAR TO YOUR NASAL DRAINAGE, IS THERE PAIN ALSO? - IT SHOULD NEVER BE BROWN OR BLACK OR EVEN YELLOW AS YELLOW (BRIGHT YELLOW IS A SIGN OF SINUS INFECTION) SO THE FACT IT IS BLACK/BROWN IS VERY DISCONCERTING.

YES, GET A SECOND OPINION IMMEDIATELY. SINUS DRAINAGE SHOULD NEVER TURN BLACK/BROWN OR BLOODY, BRIGHT YELLOW IS AN IDICATION OF SINUS INFECTION BUT THERE IS ALSO PAIN AND PRESSURE. IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE YOU ARE ENDURING THE PAIN AND PRESSURE PART SO I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD BE CHECKED OUT ASAP. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU.

i am experiencing this same type of drainage, and also have allergies and am an ex-marijana smoker. what has happened with your condition , how are you feeling? i have showed one doctor the drainage and he just gave me azithromax for bronchitis, but im still coughing it up after finishing the medicine.

i have the same condition.i have black/greyish mucous/

I started with constant nose bleed since april 2008.turned out to be sinusitis and allergies.i got my nasal membrane burnt with silver nitrate to stop the bleeding. it took 3 months for the bleeding to disappear completely.n i had been taking antibiotics for a very long period.now im much better but i keep having running nose n sneezing all the time.so i keep taking antihistamine n usins nasonex as advised by doctor.

i got my mucous checked as it was blackish.doctor suspected it to be mold or fungus.The result came negative.i was relieved.and my sinus got much better. but then i keep finding this blackish mucous together with clear one.n seems to have problems with my nose n couging from time to time. I'm now very concerned as I read that it might be something to do with the lung.

Actually the doctor has asked me to have my lung checked,but i had it last year and it was fine. i'm not a smoker n never snorted anything.i live in United Arab Emirates,Abu Dhabi where it is very dusty as sometimes there's sand storm.but i never noticded this mascara-like mucous before.i moved here for a year and before i used to live in bahrain for 3 yrs n a half which is pretty much the same environment.so i dont think it's something to do with dust. i only had blackish mucous after a night out,obviously because of smoke in the bar.but i dont go clubbing these days.doctors here are not so reliable.i'm going back to thailand next month,so i will consult my doctor about this matter again.

i couldn't find a possiblew reason why it's black.i don't know if it's something to do with samonella.i had samonella8months back,but later had liver fuction checked n it was fine.but i didnt have my lung checked.but as i was already cured.i dont see a possiblity that it has something to do with this.

i'm very concerned.any suggestion or opinion is more than welcome.
_[removed]_

My husband has had thick mucus that was dark in color and this morning he got sick from it and threw up black stuff he stated that it looked like soy sauce! We are very concerned we are going to the doctor on Monday!

So has anyone found out the cause to this black mucus? It is now the second morning I cough up black phlegm, and it is the only time during the day that I do so. I don't have many persistent couhgs. Only morning time does this black phlegm appear

im really here looking for solutions to my boyfriends problems he is having with his throat....symptoms that seem very common.. lots of people on here have them...but in addition to the common white in back of throat or on tonsils and lumps/large tastebuds, he also has a new red bump back there..i havent found any solutions and hope that anyone can help at all...
now...about that BLACK MUCOUSY STUFF: the only experience i have had with anything black coming out... is we used to take pills...xanax to be exact..pretty regularly.. not prescribed...just to party..lol which i do not condone by the way..and one night....it was our friends birthday and of course he was set on xanax for the night... and his other buddy brought over some soma (i think it was soma) and he took it without knowing what it was..and later that night...in the middle of the night.. after a little partying..lol..he threw up black stuff everywhere.. it was a very large amount of fluid... dont know what it was or what it was from.. he didnt go to the doctor... he didnt die surprisingly....i assume it was blood because it was black....and this was the only time that we know of him expelling anything black like that. it really was an obscene amount of fluid.. a huge pile on the carpet in his apt... not a piled up pile.. but a big black stain about 2x3 feet pretty big if you ask me.. i hope this helps at all.. maybe it has something to do with taking xanax or somas... or both.. becuase i do think this was the first and only time he had taken soma... the last helpful hint i have is that i know that you are not supposed to take xanax and ingest grapefruit at the same time.. the warning is to dont have grapefruit with it.. on the bottle i think. so i dont know what the grapefruit does with the xanax..but incase this is a possibility for you.. i hope this helps someone.. even just a little.. even though his was more liquidy than mucousy... it still came from inside him. good luck and wish you all the best of luck! ps. please let me know if i help at all..id like to know. sorry it is so long.

also... i know that smoking blunts or cigars with your you know what regularly.. or even every once in a while if it is continued..can cause brown mucous...i know you guys are saying black.. but i guess that if its severe enough it may get darker and darker... hope this helps... let me know if it does please.

i smoke and have constant allergies and congestion, but never had black mucus until now, and strangely enough, i too have been taking small amounts of xanax to help me sleep.

Lately, I have been experiencing this same problem, but I'm afraid to tell my parents;they get so freaked out about the littlest things. This has been going on for a couple of weeks should I be concerned? What should I do?

everybody stay calm. i've had this condition for over a year, and I'm still here today. first let me make the distinction. from all I could find documented about this "black mucus" problem it breaks into 2 categories: smokers and non-smokers. Now obviously this is not a 100% either or situation but my doctor has confirmed several times that many smoker get this "black cough". It's pretty unpleasant, not socially cool, and obviously a little scary but this is almost common for those of us that use marijuana or tobacco regularly. a lot of theories have come out of this, but the most basic reasoning is that the smoke sticks to your mucus membrane as it goes in and out, and those of us who cough it up get worried even though the reason no one else seems to is because they don't usually spit so they just swallow everything and hope for the best. NO MEDICALLY-LICENSED DOCTOR HAS CONFIRMED THIS IS A SIGN OF CANCER OR DISEASE, and to throw a probably naive but at least a hopeful thinking idea in the mix, I'm thinking its just our bodies filtering out the bad like its supposed to and getting rid of it as it knows how. also, I've never really had pain or blood in my cough, those would be signs of a greater problem (or maybe just a night of partying too hard). Oh, and sorry, the 2nd group should have nothing to worry about either, because they are usually people inhaling dust or sand but these things are a lot less harmful for the human body than tar anyways ;-)

I've read all the replies and here are my symptoms: It started with a redish brown mucous in the morning and I had afeeling like there wa something stuck in my throat that I couldn't swallow or cough out. Now it's grown into nausea and bile when I do manage to retch. I know what that I need to consult a doctor but what kind" ( so as to not waste time, effort and money? 

have black mucas in morning after sleep , then it is clear for the day

The Black Mucus is caused by bacterial growth in my opinion