During the day I'm fine, it's the night time that is killing me. I cough excessively, have abundant amounts of mucus that I need to cough up and spit out all night. This has been going on for over 7 months. Tried Nasonex and that doesn't help at all. Mucus is white in color so it's not an infection. The weird thing about the whole situation is the fact that the symptons occur only in the night time. Once it gets dark I start coughing and the mucus builds up..

Can you please help me understand my condition and possibly offer some advice. Thanks

Can someone help me

I'm sorry I cannot help you because I am experiencing the same symptoms you are describing. I was up 4 times last night coughing and spitting. The only difference with my mucus is it's yellowish, only sometimes clear. Drinking water does not help.
Does anyone out there have an answer?

You are describing exactly what my mother and I are experiencing. We are both waking ourselves up multiple times from coughing in the middle of the night and coughing up mucus. Mine is yellowish in color, I'm not sure what her's is. We are both totally fine during the day, it's only at night that it happens. The weird thing is she has been experiencing this for close to 2 months, while I've just started experiencing it this week, but it has been every night so far since Monday. We both are living in the same house currently. She has been to an allergy specialist but they could not figure out what was wrong. Can anyone shed some light on what this may be? Please help!

Do any of you have down pillows or coverlets on your bed? I had that once and I had to get rid of all my down products.

Has anyone found out more about this. I wake up choking on spit.

You might try using a humidifier. That has worked for me in the past.

I think you might all have been exposed to black mold and it attached to your lungs. you can try breathing in steam from boiling water with drops of tea tree oil in it before you go to bed. You should do it for 5-10 mins. Also try oil of oregano drops under your tounge. The suggested dose is 2-3 drops a couple times a day. Don't use oregano if you are low on iron tho.

I have the same problem that many of you are describing. I am 22 yr old male and i would describe myself as very healthy and active. I feel like I have to spit every 5-10 minutes everyday but it clear and thin. At night it typically gets worse and is thicker. When I wake up in the morning I have a large buildup that I spit out that is yellow, sometimes darker, yellow-brown-greenish. Recently in the past week I have been waking up in the morning because of excessive buildup. This has been going on for at least 2 years. I have been to a few different doctors, all of whom prescribe me allergy medicine that has very little effect if any so I do not take it because the side effects can be just as frustrating. Any anecdots or help would be greatly appreciated. I cant live like this for the rest of my life.

I had the same issue. My internist thinks it is asthma and I am now on an inhaler. I went to an ENT who says, stop the inhaler, I have GERD (reflux) and night coughing is a classic symptom. He put me on Nexium but I am afraid to give up the inhaler. Food and alcohol seem to be a trigger.

I just want to say that I, too, have the same problem and have had it for over two years. It occurs in different houses with different pillows. I have tried all sorts of nasal sprays, including Bactroban, an antiboitic, prescribed for me by and ENT specialist. He charged me about $500 and I never paid his bill. This is a serious problem and I am encouraged to know that I am not alone in this. I also have eye secretion at night ending us with sticky crystals which must be washed out in the morning. I suspect this is related.

Everyone please carry on looking for a solution and post it when you find it.

JA

I have the same symptoms and can share my experience.
First you will need to have your primary care doctor refer you to a sinus and allergy specialist. You could have symptoms of Rhinitus or Sinusitus. If you have an infection they are going to need to 'Hoover' it out! It's uncomfortable but makes a world of difference!
You should also get the allergy test, to see what you are allgeric too. If you don't like needles you won't like this test! It will tell you exactly what you are allergic too.
The best medicine that has worked for me is RESCON (not sure if generic or not). It will pretty much dry up the atlantic!
Another good one, and cheap, is off the shelf Kroger brand off the shelf no drip nasal spray.
Check your enviroment, it is most likely an allergy. Check around your air vents and in the attic under the insulation for mold. Also, pets, if you have a new one.
If you have constant sinus drainage that could inflame the acids in your stomach and give you the symptoms of someone with acid reflux or gerd. I have a colonoscopy to prove this one! Make sure you tell your gastro doctor this or you could end up like me with a camera in your colon!
You can also try sinus clense, Neilmed Sinus Rinse and the Netipot. it at Walgreens and cheap. It uses saline solution to clean out your sinus'. It's not pleasent but it is effective.

Hope this helps and sorry if it is all over the place but it's 4am and I'm tired!

Best of luck!

I had the same symptoms of coughing and lots of clear phlym at night. Suffered with this for about a year. My sister found a post on the internet to use fresh ginger or garlic for these symptoms that can be GERD. Now I grate ginger into my smoothie in the a.m. and have no more coughing and phlym at night. Hope this works for someone else.

I too am suffering from this and have for about 2 years now. I am currently 18 years old. After reading what everyone else seems to be experiencing, i don't know if mine is as serious as it doesn't occur quite as often. I wake up coughing on thick clear mucus maybe once a month or so.. Always at night. It used to be that it rarely happened but within the last month now, it has happened about 4 times and is getting worse every time. Tonight (about 45 minutes ago) I woke up right before it all started and that was new to me as I usually wake up coughing and gagging on my mucus... This time I woke up with a dry cough, a strange and tight feeling in my airways, and a horrible taste in my mouth. Usually I wake up coughing and can use a couple of towels to expel my mucus onto and then go back to sleep alright, but this time, everytime I lay back down, it comes right back and gets tight and the mucus returns.

I have asthma.. It isn't horrible, but it hits most when I'm sick and during allergy season. I sleep with a humidifier for my headaches and that doesn't seem to be working. As I'm writing this the pain and mucus have subsided a bit (after spitting for a good 40 minutes straight and taking a double dose of Benadryl and using my inhaler several times).

Nothing seems to help at all and I've tried so many things.\
-Sarah

I am also facing this problem from last one week. My grand mother in india advised me to keep one clove in your mouth(dont swallow) and surprisingly i did not got Cough whole night. Next morning my mouth i found sqeezed slove and split it...I tried one week now cming back to normal...one more thing change your pillow covers...

Hope it will help

Thanks
Sree