I have smoked weed for 30 years about 3-6 times a day.  I quit a week ago, again, and again I am coughing up black stuff.   This is a good thing!    Productive cough is helpful in expelling the tar.   Drink lots of liquids and dont cough to long or too hard, just a few productive coughs and then take it easy.    If you cough too much because you are panicking you can cause more problems and you might even start seeing strands of blood from that.     If you do see streaks of blood, DONT PANIC.   Its likely just a  burst blood vessel or two from the coughing.   If you see a teaspoons worth you should definately see a professional right away.    I dont know how long I will see the black stuff when I cough but from what I have read it could be a good long while.   No smoke going in and tar coming out is the right formula to clean it out.  Every bit that comes out is stuff that will never be in there again if you dont smoke so be grateful its out and give yourself a pat on the back.     Light exercise is good to get the lungs working again too.    I was having chest pain and a cold numb feeling in my left arm before I stopped smoking.    Some headaches too near my eyes.    So again, its been 1 week now no smoking and I am still coughing up the tar, however, the chest pain and arm thing is gone.  I am starting to feel better and I actually feel like exercising.        It took years to build up that tar and it will take a good bit of time to get it out.   If you are still smoking, take a drag and blow it through a tissue you place over your lips.    It turns  golden right, and thats just from one toke so imagine what 30 years of smoking can do.     If you are reading this its time to quit.  You can do it!   You must if you want to live.   

this is very helpful thank you for your honesty and i too had a numbing in my left arm but it started in my left chest area so i went to the er thinking i was having a stroke or heart attack turns out i have bronchitis and now im forced to quit smoking weed i started when i was 14 i am now 24 so its definately time to quit for me not saying its time for everyone else to but as of right now its been about a week of not smoking and just now today i started coughing up alittle bit of black stuff in my flem i take mucinex and i am drinking alot of hot lemonwater(basically hot lemonade) and i am not eating any cheese or drinking milk because it promotes mucus not the good kind of promote either itfeels like im choking when i eat cheese now so i cant for a few weeks but if anyone is going through this best of luck to you its very discomfort and scary but you will get better overtime i take ibuprofen for the discomfort it helps

well it sounds like you need to vaporize the weed and it is better for the lungs or eat it i for one cough black but i also smoke it instead of vaporize but if being sober works for you go ahead but i see pot being legal soon and have no plans of quiting marijuanna is the future and wheather ppl like it or not its becoming legal and that means that they can study ways to get the effects without vaporizing or smoking or eating it mabie a stong dose in a pill