Hello! About 3-4 weeks ago, I was sick with the common cold. It went away and about a week ago, I have had nothing but a sore throat and a cough when the throat irritates me. Now, it has been joined by the constant coughing up thick, crusty, greenish orange c**p. I also am blowing my nose super often and three or four times doesn't get all the junk out. I know it's the stuff you have when you have a cold, but the junk in the throat and in the nose is the only symptom of a cold I have, and it's progressively getting worse. I have to wake up in the middle of the night to hack it up and spit it out because it's blocking my airways. I don't know what to do from here. I drink hot tea religiously, I've been trying to get plenty of sleep, and none of it is working! Help!

Mucus is produced every day in large amounts (1 liter/day) by microscopic mucus-secreting glands in the sinus cavities, nasal cavity, throat, and trachea. We usually swallow it without even knowing it because it is too thin and goes right down the throat. When the mucus thickens we start noticing it. Things that thicken the mucus are cigarettes smoke, so make sure you quit smoking (if you are smoking) until the mucus clears.

Other things that thicken the mucus are asthma, chronic bronchitis, dehydration, sinusitis, nasal allergies, bacterial rhinitis, viral infection, and certain medications which tend to decrease saliva and mucus production.
Dehydration usually occurs because of the excessive caffeine and alcohol intake, so make sure you cut that out too.
You may check the pharmacies if they have something that thins or gets rid of the excessive mucus.