since the end of this past April I have been coughing up black in my flem every day even now thurday July13th 2006 it is scary I have pains in my chest it hurts what should I do I will admit I used to smoke Marijuana now I regret it I have been clean since the middle of Aptil I am scared what should i do I cry of being scared i donte want to go to a doctor scared of what they might tell me I know sumthing is wrong can you anserw my question do you think its cancer :-(

go to the doctor... a diagnosis on here will not be as helpful as a doctor.

i get the same sh*t, well the difference is that im only 17 yrs old i started smoking when i was 12. i start lacking air relief whenever i breath. Its preety tough cuz whenever i release flem its reallie dark. I quit smoking pot just 2 weeks ago and still have it. Hope people will realize they need to control smoking pot. BELieve me f**k i smoke longer than u.

hi. i was doing a search on this topic and found this thread.I smoked really potent weed for several years and have quit now for about 5 weeks. I do not smoke cigs. After i eat, i usually get some phlem in my chest and when i cough it up there are specks of black in it. I'm surprised that after 5 weeks i would still have this problem.I wont ever smoke pot again.

In the past i would quit and the black stuff would linger around for about a week or so. I am a little worried,but i'm pretty sure it's just tar. Any advise would help.I'll wait another 3 weeks before i go see a doc.I dont have a cough or anything, just the phlem after a meal.Weird? I dont know.

Hell. I think i'd rather cough up all that black plhem off of my lungs cause of smokin, I never had any of these symptoms and i know people thats smoke longer then you all combined probably. And they dont cough black plhem up.

If you look at the phlegm under a microscope you will see black specks. These are not hairs - they are actually little plugs of tar that have come out of the micro air-ways in your lungs.

It might many months, even as long as a year, for your lungs to clear (depending on how much and how long you smoked). The majority of the 'black' filth should be expelled from your lungs (with the help of the newly growth cilia) in the first 3 months after you quit smoking. -You will probably be amazed at just how much of your lungs were plugged with tar.

It is not uncommon to get lung pain (a bit like mild heart-burn) after quitting smoking as there is a massive repair job in progress. This might last many months.

If you still have lung pain and/or are coughing up phlegm with black speckles in it after a year, I recommend you see a doctor to get help with lung recovery (probably just advice will be given, but perhaps medicine might be required).

I am NOT a qualified doctor - if you are worried or have symptoms that are different or more severe than described here SEEK A PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OPINION.

I think this is more common than you think, maybe get it checked anyway, I'm just saying not to worry too much about it as I think it is just tar and getting it out of your lungs is surely a good thing! From the little I know people are more likely to get that kind of thing if they're quitting or don't smoke too regularly, so that would support what I said about how it's probably just tar.

Hello people I have smoked weed(good weed) several times a day for 26 yrs. I have never smoked cigs. I occasionally cough when working out and sometimes I get some black flem that comes up. It is just tar trying to clear out of your lungs. This is the only negative effect I have seen. And I have been told by my doctor that my lung capacity is great for 43. Although I wonder if sometimes if the smoking is slowing me down or my age, you start feeling the aging process around 40.

I quit smoking cigarettes about three weeks ago and will never touch them again (due to a medical scare that proved totally false but still taught me a tough lesson). Even though I still smoke weed a few times a day on most days, I have started seeing the black stuff in my phlegm. It's not exactly a cough, just like I have to clear my throat and then that gunk comes up. It seems like it started with gray stuff and now has gotten down to the deep black nasty. I hope my lungs will continue to expel this c**p until they're cleaned out. Right now, I'm planning to keep smoking pot (I don't drink alcohol and would never touch any other street or pharmaceutical drugs of any kind, so I'd really miss weed if I had to give it up), but I will quit that too if my lungs don't clear up after a few months. I used to smoke between 5 and 15 cigarettes a day and have been up to about 30 a day at times in the past. I smoked cigarettes for about 13 years.

The weird thing is, my boyfriend quit cigarettes a week before I did, and he hasn't coughed up a thing. I guess everybody's different.

how yahz going...........ive been smoking pot almost everyday for about almost 5 - 6 weeks and started about 3 years ago.....ive also been doing a packet of cigis a day for almost a year....ive been trying to quit the ciggis for about a week now . and just a few days ago i started coughin up this "tar"
just sayin thxs for leavin this comments :-)

i was pretty worried about this until i see im not the only one with this problem so thxs :-)

Yeah i am 24 and i have been smokin bud and cigs for about 11 yrs now and i just quit smokin cigs about 2 months ago but i love my weed so i dont plan on quiting it anytime soon but i was also worried about this black sh*t i have been coughing up but i figured it wasnt to much to worry about because i dont like doctors and i have had this problem for about 5 months but all it is is tar exiting the lungs like what was said above so pretty much if you smoke you can expect it sooner or later but i am kinda glad its comin out now instead of years down the road cuz then it would be alot worse. javascript:emoticon(':-S')
Twisted Evil

I have the same thing, i was sick for a week and took a break from smoking dope. In the meantime in the morning i cough up this murky grayish matter, i have a microscope of my own and it is as explained, little black specs.
Later in the day when i cough though (still some cough left from my cold) its clear mucus/phlegm. But while i smoke pot (sometimes mixed with a very small amount of tobacco) and cough i never see this grayish matter.

Okay, everyone, HELLO...the black phlegm you are coughing up IS from smoking and more so smoking weed. Cigarettes hold the tar in your lungs and weed expels it. You will still cough up black phlegm from cigarettes too but not as regularly as marijuana. So, unless you're coughin up blood or really thick black phlegm, you are really over reacting. My uncle is a doctor and I've asked him this as well as other doctors that are specialists. 

OK, so my boyfriend is coughing up little black specs and it scares me!! I want him to go see a Doc, and he keeps saying that he will, but has not yet. He does smoke weed, well recently quit and started Juicing a lot. He says since he started to juice is when he started to cough up the specs. He ocasionally smokes cigs, but has cut down a lot on those as well.

so, but you say that there is nothing to worry about?? Will this ever go away and is it a sign of worse things to come? :-(

No sh*t its from smoking. There's not a single person on here that doesn't smoke and coughs up black sh*t. we are not overreacting, some of us are scared and some of us just want to know wtf is up with our lungs. i've smoked ungodly amounts of marijuana for the last 5-6 years. copius amounts. stupidly and unneccessarily. i have pleurisy and about every 4-5 months i'll get bronchitis. i have been coughing up deep dark black sh*t for 2 months now, more so since i've quit 8 days ago. its enough to where i'm getting really scared. also does anyone get pressure on the left side of their head or above their eye? fatigue? shortness of breath or tightness in the chest?