Hello, I am a 20 year old female. I have been coughing up solid white phlem daily now for a couple months. I have never been a cigarette smoker, however I do smoke marijuana daily. I was not under the impression marijuana smoke could have these effects. Any suggestions?

It depends on how you smoke marijuana, although smoking marijuana is no less safe than smoking cigarettes. Although you do not have nicotine, there is still carbon monoxide and other chemicals. That's a common misconception of smoking marijuana that continues to be popular. White phlegm is a bit worrisome. I think it'd be best that you go to a doctor to get it diagnosed because it could be indicative of a bigger problem. Please be sure to give your doctor a full picture of your situation too and be honest about smoking. It helps the doctor diagnose you properly. Keep us posted, please!

As the previous poster said, marijuana has more poisonous chemicals in it than cigarettes. It is not harmless. You might imagine what can happen to your airways with daily exposure over an extended period of time. I hope this info helps and I hope it will help you determine if this is a good plan for your life. You should see and ENT (ear nose and throat) specialist as soon as possible so that he can treat you. The phlegm is probably a result of your soft tissues (in your airway) responding the the chemicals in the marijuana. It is a sign of irritation or trauma to your tissues. Please see someone soon and let us know about your progress. I wish you well.