This post is an extension of the

Coughing up flem with black strands of flem in it thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

i also have this problem... been smoking several grams everyday for the last 6-7 years(literally)..

i have this black stuff issue but sometimes its just fine(the lungs working out the tar makes sense) and sometimes itll be black, but recently it seems like theres blood in it, i hate doctors i havent been to one in years and i really dont want to go

advice? (dont post go to the doctor and dont post how long uve been smoking and how cool you think you are)

I've been getting black strands in my flem but I don't smoke, and i haven't smoked in the past either. I don't breathe in second hand smoke but i still get it. could it be something other than tar?

I smoked cigarettes for about 15 years and smoked pot for about twenty. I quit smoking cigarettes nearly five years ago and finally quit smoking herb for about a month now. I have been coughing up black phlegm for years, I figured it was due to the pot smoke. I excercise regularly (gym rat) and to this day I still cough up black phlegm. I have read it takes 24 hours for our body to recover from one cigarettte. I did the math conservatively for ten years of cigarette smoke at about one pack per day equals 73000 cigarettes which means it will take my body 200 years to recover from smoking. Will the black phlegm ever stop? or will I die with tar in my lungs? I am currently 34 years old.

Its been 45 days since I smoked a cig, today after a long time I started to exercise (running) -> Stamina had decreased to a min after smoking for around 4.5 years. After the exercise I coughed black strands in the cough and did not cough them out until I exercised and had my lungs to do some work :-).
I have chest pain and some thing they call as Heart Burn. (My reason for quitting smoking and starting to work out).

-
Cheers,
Launchpad..

Wow, Good to know your all suffering too. I smoke spun herb everyday and no cigarettes. I have also noticed this black tar stuff in my sputum in the last couple weeks (particularly after smoking decent herb), I get incredibly tight chest pains and the inability to breathe deeply without coughing for about 2-3 minutes after a bong. While coughing is the time I'm spitting up the black sh*t. and then after that. nothing. It seems to only be evident at the time I smoke and not any other time I cough.

Now I have reasearched it a bit and there are a lot of things it could mean and one is cancer and TB which are the worse. TB is more worse then cancer. You would live less longer. There are some others that you would take medication and you would live a great life. Some is just from coughing a lot or infection in the lung. If it is cancer it would be lung. Now I see you have been doing drug but I'm not sure if that causes cancer like smoking. There are 20+ other possibilities it could be other then Cancer. I recomend going to your doctor right away. People are scared and don't go and if they did go earlyer they could have lived but they decide to go when it's to late. So go right away.

I've also been coughing up black/brown stuff in my mucus lately. Smoke both weed and cigs. I tend to agree with people that say this is your body's way of expelling damaged lung tissue and foreign particles, but goddamn its annoying. It's like a constant announcement to everyone that I smoke pot.

Vaporizers? hahaha... stupidity, you are wasting your bud. Google "how efficient are vaporizers" and read up. Vaporizers perform unreliably even under the right temperature conditions. Under testing, vaporizers only get you 36-61% of available THC whereas a glass pipe will reliably get you between 70-78% if you know how to smoke correctly. This means loading your bowl properly for good airflow, not roasting the sh*t out of your bud, cleaning your pipe often (2-3 times per month at least), and not wasting any smoke (clear the chamber all the way and right away). I've never gotten as high on a vaporizer as on a glass piece. I've used the volcano bag system, an off-brand bag system, and 2-3 different personal hose-type vaporizers. The "high" is never as heavy, and never lasts as long. I've tried various temperature settings, etc... I'm now of the opinion that unless you have some medical condition that your doctor diagnosed, and a stipulation of that condition is that you cannot inhale smoke (by the strict definition), then yes I could see how vaporizers could tickle your fancy... but anyone else promoting them doesn't know wtf they are talking about (I don't care how long you have been smoking, you are still wrong).

The best way to "vaporize" your bud (or get really close) is to use a soldering iron. RESEARCH THIS, not all can be used and the ones that can must be disassembled to a certain extent to be safe for inhaling (want to inhale metal fumes?). Also not all of them have the heat source at the right end. I've done this and it is the best, f**k vapes, get yourself a soldering iron to light your bud. Vapes use hot air, a soldering iron when used right (think waving a magic wand over your bowl without touching your weed) can achieve some pretty smooth smoke.

Water pieces? You won't like this post either but it has been scientifically proven that water filtration systems (bongs, bubblers, etc) are less efficient than glass pipes and joints as far as how much THC you'll get when using the various systems. There's the little detail that everyone seems to miss. Bongs make you feel "higher" because you can inhale a larger volume of cool smoke each time, which leads to a higher blood plasma level of THC, but over a shorter amount of time. THC is not water soluble BUT it CAN become trapped in water molecules (but would not be able to be metabolized), so the amount of THC you lose is not noticeable but the fact still remains. Go buy yourself a nice glass pipe, because that water filtration isn't doing penis either. Of course the water color will change, of course SOME things are being trapped in the water, but its not filtering enough to be considered "safer". I only use my bong when I want to smoke quickly or want cooler smoke for whatever reason (be a man?)... also large smoking sessions with friends.

The trouble I've experienced when running these symptoms by a doctor is that as soon as you mention pot they stop listening. Sometimes just mentioning smoking cigs makes them stop listening. My lifestyle makes your job harder? Well f**k me... maybe you should have picked a different career? In my opinion over-eating is leagues more pathetic than smoking anything. I can't remember the last time I got high off a cupcake (that wasn't laced with something... haha). This combined with a gastrointestinal disorder (yet to be properly diagnosed) makes me feel so much angst towards doctors and their attitudes. I can't wait until we have a not-for-profit health care system or something similar that really lowers the salaries of doctors, maybe then we'll have doctors that are signing up because they find it interesting or because they actually want to help people. There are so many inept/arrogant physicians out there... its just ridiculous.

I've also noticed black stuff in my phlegm the last 2 days. The thing is I've never smoked in my life. I'm in my early 20's, so reading the posts on here has me worried that there might be something wrong with me.

I have been coughing that black c**p up for years and it is basically trying to get out of your system to clean it. If you have blood in your lungs i would suggust going to the doctors for a check up blood isnt a good sign it could mean lung cancer i have a friend who is a nurse.

I just ate a candy bar...  a chocolate covered candy bar with fluff inside...  Often times, food gets caught in your throat and begins to dissolve in your mucus...  membrane...  It is how we get nutrients into our bodies.  I coughed up some mucus with black strands in it...  I figure its melted chocolate from the candy!

Scare of my life at 40.  I've smoked cigarettes and pot (pipe) forever. On more than off, since I was a kid, but quit cigarettes about a year ago.    Instead, I kept smoking the best California medicinal weed like it was going out of style (1/4 oz per week, perpetually).  Decided to run one day for 30 min (1/2 of that time walking) and woke up the next day coughing blood (streaks and blood tinged color), even a huge clot.  Stopped smoking everything immediately, yea, what a genius!  I waited a week, still bleeding (sh**ting bricks), and went to the doctor and they ran a blood test, x-ray, and later a ct-scan after the x-ray was questionable.  I thought for sure I was on my way out when I went in for the ct-scan, but it came back normal.  WTF  Doctors tell me that the blood was probably from bronchitis from excessive smoking and as long as it stopped, tests were clear, no worries.  I still have the black specks when clearing my throat after a month, but not too much coughing.  Looking at the specks under a microscope you will see the black/grey resin balls as described by everyone.  Doctors say the coughing up crud can last up to 4 months.  Lesson learned, don't smoke cigarettes, and don't smoke too much weed, it really is only a waste since it creates too high of a tolerance.

i dont smoke and i am coughing black spots in my flem with blood any ideas

Your tear ducts are connected to your nasal passages and if you wear liquid eyeliner or any type of eyeliner for that matter it could very well be that.  I've never smoked a cigarette a day in my life and it happens to me pretty frequently and I've been told it's from the eyeliner!

I am 25 years old.  I have been smoking cigarettes and marijuana daily (2-8 cigarettes/day; 2-3 grams/day) for the past year-and-a-half or so.  For about a year-and-a-half prior, I smoked cigarettes daily (1-3 cigarettes/day) and marijuana socially.  I smoked both socially for about a year before that as I was fairly focused on personal health and fitness (ironic).  I smoked cigarettes and marijuana regularly in college before that.  Throughout the periods of cigarette smoking, there were occasional instances of "benders" or "party nights" in which I might smoke up to as much as a pack (which would usually prompt me to not smoke for the next few days).

Symptoms of depression including loss of appetite (and thus weight loss) and occasional fatigue began approximately 6 months ago.  Unfortunately, some personal-life events occurred around the same time making it difficult to determine the nature of these symptoms (i.e. is this "regular depression and too much smoking" or "serious lung infection causing these symptoms").

For the past year, I have been coughing clear/white sputum occasionally with brownish fibers/strands and/or frothy.  Productive coughing is normal upon waking-up and in the evening (usually before leaving work or arriving home).  I bought a vaporizer thinking that this was due to too much resin/tar/whatever build-up from my smoking habits and gradually stopped using other methods of marijuana smoking (such as a "bubbler" and, unfortunately, "waterfall" water pipes and joints).  I did not visit a doctor as I attributed the cough and sputum as "smoker's cough" and that it would go away when/if I lessened my smoking or (hopefully) stopped.

For the past month, despite my depression-like symptoms, I reduced my smoking of cigarettes (perhaps too late?) to about 1-3 cigarettes/day.  Two nights ago, while smoking marijuana, I felt a dull chest pain after smoking a cigarette that has persisted for over 24 hours now. I quit smoking cigarettes immediately and permanently and will be attempting to quit marijuana this April 1st (if not immediately).

After (finally) performing some research, I am worried about a serious lung infection.  Now aware that depression, loss of appetite, and weight loss can be symptomatic of other illnesses such as... lung cancer... I will be visiting my medical provider for an after-hours visit for tests such as a chest x-ray and CT scan.

I will visit the hospital in a few hours and will hopefully have good news and professional advice to pass on.

If this is lung cancer, it could likely be late-stage due to the chest pain and prolonged coughing of sputum, which means I may not live to see another Christmas.  I am 25 years old, have led a very privileged life (hell, I own a condo, own a brand-new Porsche, and have significant personal investments; what single 25 year old person wouldn't think "Now, that's the life!".).  Unfortunately, my last years of life could very well be the ones filled with anger, depression, and sadness (not to mention social alienation).
*** NO MATTER YOUR AGE, BELIEFS, DEMOGRAPHIC, FATE, HABITS, HERITAGE, LUCK, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND SEEING A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY UPON EXPERIENCING *ANY* OF THESE SYMPTOMS. ***
Solely due to ignorance (that these symptoms are indicative of serious illness) and stupidity (smoking), I may have caused an early end to my life.  I am positive and will believe that this is "nothing" unless the doctor tells me otherwise for sake of survival (hopefully leveraging the power of belief).

Note: I refer to vaporizing marijuana as "smoking" for "laymen" and because it can disingenuously suggest "healthy consumption" when it is truly a slight variation to the method for consumption of the same substance (even considering that the consumed material is different due to the lack of combustion).  It could be akin to McDonald's stating that they prepare their food using a new advanced method, when the fact of the matter is you are still consuming something bad for you (whether or not it is "not as bad as before").