Hi. Went to see a doctor because of some heavy abdominal pain and out of nowhere was diagnosed with chronic kidney damage! Never had a problem with my kidneys before. Anyway, I often have headaches, and take Ibuprofen (more then I should, I guess) and heard that meds, that is painkillers such as aspirin, naproxen and ibuprofen, can give you a kidney problem. Could it be it? That I have a kidney damage thanks to ibuprofen?

I`ve read that analgetic use (that is taking of over-the-counter painkillers, including ibuprofen) has been linked with sudden-onset acute kidney failure. But the patients who reported that were all elders, with a chronic kidney disease or heavy drinkers. There is also a link between ibuprofen and a chronic kidney damage. Ibuprofen may increase the risk of that disease, but it`s not for sure. Anyway, doctors say that use of the meds doesn`t cause the kidney disease, but the way that the meds cause kidney damage is not really understood. Also, if you`re on painkillers every day fo many years, it can give you a chronic kidney disease that in time leads to kidney failure. Anyway, this stuff happens, but it`s not a common thing, and drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin are mostly to blame.