I AM 37 YEARS OLD AND I AM VERY IRREGULAR. I HAD BEEN GIVEN PROGETERONE FOR 6 MONTHS THEN MY DR SUGGETSED I TRY BIRTHCONTROL PILLS TO REGULATE MY PERIOD AND SUBSTITUTE THE PROGESTERONE AS I STARTED GETTING SOME FACIAL HAIR. 13 DAYS INTO THE ORTHO BIRTHCONTROL PILLS- I START MY PERIOD-I AM WORRIED BECAUSE IT HAS NOT STOPPED-VERY HEAVY & PAINFUL. TODAY I TOOK THE SECOND PROVERA PILL I WAS PRESCRIBED I AM TO TAKE 15 PILLS- ONE DAILY. HAS ANYONE GONE THROUGH THIS?

I'm 26, and since Jul.1/06-present (Aug.7/06), I've had my period every day. It's extremely difficult to go through, I've never had this happen before.

Last week, I had blood tests done, and things seemed to come back ok. So the next step was he prescribed provera (5mg/day). I was to take it for 3-4 days, and if the period didn't stop, then I needed to increase my dosage to 2x 5mg/day. I've been on the increased dosage for a few days now. And, still the period has not stopped.

I'll be seeing the dr. in a couple dsyas to follow up. And see what's going to happen next.

Perhaps an ultra sound, but not totally sure if that will show anything.

hi i'm 22 and this is my third time being prescribed provera and it works for me i take it once daily for 10 days i took the last one today and it stopped i think but i had anal sex last night and i'm bleeding but i'm not sure where it's comming from but anyway in the past i've had good experiences with provera...and i want to have a baby so birth control is kind of out of the question for my situation. My doc told me that would be the only way for me to control my mensus but i refuse becuase i had bc in the past and i didn't have good reactions so i'll pass. But good luck to you all and if it doesn't stop give your doc a call and discuss it with them so you can come up with a better plan.

I am 35 years old and my cycle has been irregular now for about 4 years, and now I just had another exam with another doctor and he's prescribing me provera, but i here you all saying you are taking provera to stop the bleeding so what i was trying to see what's the tie in to provera stopping and helping you develope a cycle, because right now i am not having a cycle and it's been prescribed for me.

I am 23 and had a baby 4 months ago, i have been bleeding for 7 weeks now straight. Its so annoying because its heavy for a week then not. I finally went to the emergency room got and ultrasound, blood work etc.. and found nothing but a cyst on my ovaries. they said that the cyst will not cause bleeding and it should go away on its own. So they prescribed me Provera 10mg for 10 days. I have one more pill to take and i am still bleeding. If i dont stop I am making a follow up appt with my doctor. I dont understand what happened. This was my second child and the first one this did not happen. Well see i guess.

I had lack of a menstural cycle for 10 yrs since my son passed away from SIDS. One dr told me that it was ok unless I wanted to get pregnant. This Janurary I began bleeding and did not stop. Finally, I went to the Dr on Dec 22... she did a sonogram and told me the lining of my uterus was too think and my uterus could not hold the weight anymore. She performed and D&C and prescribed Provera to ensure that I get a normal cycle and the lining does not build up again, because this leads to carcinoma of the unterus. I have had no sideaffects yet.. I have been taking it for about 1 week. She told me once I stop I will get a cycle and I am to continue this treatment until I become regular. I an now ready to get pregnant and this is the first step!!

I'm 25 yrs old and I have been bleeding for 3 MONTHS and counting. My Gyn prescribed provera to stop bleeding but after taking provera pill once daily for a month it did not stop bleeding. I had an ultrasound and probing done and I was diagnosed with PCOS, I then had a Biopsy and was diagnosed with Mild Hyperplasia. I got Provera prescribed for second time and still bleeding hasn't stopped. I recently had a hysteroscopy and a D&C about a week ago and still nothing has changed I'm still bleeding, still on Provera. I'm scheduled for a follow-up appt soon to check what other options. Hopefully something will work and help me with all I'm going through. :'( Hope everyone having same situation or similar situation gets help and gets a cure soon!

I am 51 Yrs old and have been on my period sense march . I wanted to do the Nova Sure but I cant do to some other medical problems I have . So I just started the provera yesterday I pray that in a few day my period will go off .I

hello iam 30 yrs old and i cant bolive there so many of us like with the same situation i dont feel lonely any more but it is sad that our bleeding dont stop it really sucks i cant do this iam just tired of the situation i cant be normal couse every thing i do it effect me i feel very very sad about this my bleedingmy piriod starded on march the 4 and iam still bleeding to i just dont know wat to do especially if your trying to get pregnant iam takeing birth control pills to see if tha helps but its not it kind of suck  but i hopefully it stops i ved to a few pills to stop the bleeding but it aint working i hope soon it wel stop so i can be pad free besides tha i hope good hears me couse iam tire of this

Hi, I am 29 yo and I am having the same problems, I refues to take birthcontroll due to the desire to get pregnant, but I have been bleeding for about 6weeks now with no signs of slowing, reciently went to the DR and had labs and PAP, done he thinks its hormonal? I hope its that simple. ive been irrigular for past 5 years but nothing like this only skipping months, was thinking it was my body trying to play catch up for not having one for 3 months, I have blead for 3 wks before never 6wks? Hopeing my DR is right, he wants me on Provera but having a hard time to get my Ins to pay for it.

Untfortinally I'm gald I'm not alone.

I am 33 years old and my entire life I've an abnormal cycle (probably had menses approximately 6 times a year). However, the last time I had a period was September 2010 so in May 2011, I went to the doctor to see what was the issue because I knew I was not preggo. So she prescribed Provera (one a day for ten days) and thereafter, I received a period. Since my period arrived it has not stopped...it's been 26 days and counting. My period is super duper heavy with lots of clotting. I've gone through about 50+ tampons and 40+ overnight Kotex pads. I have a doctor's appointment schedule Monday, June 27 and I will post the results then. I pray its nothing dramatically serious!!! 

Thanks for your comments because I don't feel alone anymore because my mom & sister are worried to death about this issue!!! :)

ESTELA wrote:

Hi I am 36 and I got my period on jan 4 and i still have it...So far besides some little cysts everything is coming back normal. My Dr. finally convinced me to take Provera 10mg for 10 days .While on the Provera I really did not have any side effects. But about 2 days after my last dose, holy cow,,,,I elt like I was in labor, and the bleeding and clotting was so heavy. I was so frightened by this but was told that it is making my uterus shed, which is what you want. This may even prevent me from having a DNC. If the bleeding doesnt stop after a couple days then the Dr wants to perform a mini cleaning on me. If that doesnt help then I have to get a DNC. But heavy bleeding and heavy cramping is very normal. I was given motrin 600..I hope this brings you comfort because I was very frightened too.

hii i am 21 year old girl m periods are not stopping for 4 mnths i concerned with my gynic she gave me some medicines everyday a brownish color type period is coming what to do is any one hav it before plzz help me m virgin is that poosible that i have cervical cancer??

It sound like your period is just slowing down, it can appear a brownish colour when stopping, HPV is the main cause of cervical cancer and is transmitted during sex, so it is very unlikely to be a problem for you. Hopefully you'll go into a regular cycle once the meds have all stopped.

It does both. I have been proscribed Provera for many years to start and stop my cycle. It has worked for me in the past