I am a dedicated cyclist. I don’t let anything get in a way of my training. I do not stop because of pain. I just take some Ibuprofen and keep on cycling. However I read recently that this is not the best solution. What do you think about taking Ibuprofen? Is it good or not?

Well, although that Ibuprofen can help you relieve of pain on a short term basis it is not good for you. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is not without side-effects. Common adverse effects include: gastrointestinal ulceration/bleeding, nausea, raised liver enzymes, dyspepsia, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, unexplained rash, salt and fluid retention and hypertension. Less frequent adverse effects include: hyperkalaemia, renal impairment, esophageal ulceration, heart failure, confusion, bronchospasm and rash. It is also a photosensitizing agent. It has been implicated, along with several other NSAIDs, in elevating the risk of heart attack, particularly among those chronically using high doses. Beside that, it is not a good thing to ignore pain. Pain is your friend, it warns you that you have not been treating your body well and that something has to be done. Ignoring it or masking it with Ibuprofen won’t make it disappear. It may only make things worse. So I suggest you go and see your doctor about the pain you have been feeling.