Hello, I am 44 years old and I would like to ask you something concerning prostate biopsy. Could results from it be misleading? I have scheduled prostate biopsy for the next week and I have to admit that I am afraid for the results. Blood tests showed high level of PSA and all I can think now is possibility of having cancer.

Well, I don’t think that rushing with conclusions will do you any good. I mean, there might be some other reasons for elevated PSA, not just cancer, so I think that you should really wait for the results and then you will know what to do next. And the procedure itself is common and done often.

I'm a 51 year old medical physician; otherwise healthly, until two months ago I was found to have an elevated PSA....like most people I felt a strong sense of concern and right away went to work finding out the most recent scholarly medical journals pertaining to the topic...yes I was a bit scare as well! Normal protocol: Repeat PSA, if still elevated and no obvious medical reason why (ie injury, BPH, infection etc), then Ultrasound guided biopsy ( 12 core specimens taken from high risk areas of the prostate); two wait for results. In my case all thanks to GOD my biopsy results were negative. Here is where things can vary; in my case I will have a repeat PSA in two month and depending on those results might have to undergo another biopsy, one where other areas of the prostate will be examine, usually the transitional zone. Try hard not to read too much from books or internet articles, trust me you will save yourself hours of worry. Good luck!