Hi! My dad had a prostate surgery a year ago. After surgery everything was ok and he felt really good. But now his PSA is rising again. What does it mean? Can cancer return so soon? I’m really worried. Please, somebody with experience tell me what does that mean when PSA still rising after a prostate surgery?

As you know, if prostate cancer has been eliminated, prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels should drop to 0.5ng/mL or less after treatment. More men who had prostate surgery show a rise in their PSA levels in the next few years after surgery. That’s usually the sign that cancer may be returning.

Hello there,

I am so sorry that I have to tell you that the rising of PSA usually means that the cancer is coming back.

Did you consult with your doctor about these results and what did he suggested? Since your father was recovering very well and he was feeling very good it could be that this is just a false alarm and you can demand from your doctor to rerun these tests again just to be sure because this is not something which can be neglected.

Anyhow, if he’s PSA level are above 0.5ng/mL this is really something to be worried about. I hope that your father is going to be ok. Please, keep us posted about his condition.