My dad had colonoscopy today and is suspected of having colon cancer and now he waits for biopsy results. I’d like to hear what these biopsy results might say and what the biopsy is for anyway. Thx.

Hi there! We have our dads in the same kind of a situation. My dad had a colon surgery but he was lucky enough to avoid colostomy. In cases of colon cancer, actually if there’s any sign that someone might have a cancer of any kind that’s the biopsy that will decide what diagnose would be. Biopsy considers removing a part of affected tissue that went examined in lab by the pathologist. So after the tissue is examined you have the biopsy results which may be positive or negative. There’re various types of biopsy but for the colon cancer I understood that the biopsy is performed while colonoscopy which is kind of a screening test in order to see in what condition the colon is. Colonoscopy actually control if there’re some polyps in colon and polyps are actually precancerous stages that may one day turn into invasive cancer. Anyway after the surgery my dad goes to his regular follow ups once in a year and actually is having a colonoscopy followed by biopsy results that examines the polyps he usually has and also removes eventual polyps while colonoscopy.