I had "blocked" salivary glands (they got huge) a couple of months ago, took antibiotics, etc. and everything was ok. But soon after, I'm looking like I have a little double chin -- the swelling came back a bit. My mouth isn't noticeably dry...so I wonder could be causing the swelling...

Any ideas?

Swollen salivary glands or even any other glands (lymph nodes), are the warning sent from your body. It means that you have a kind of inflammation or infection in that area and those glands are hyperactive.

This symptom is shown in many different disorders and diseases like:
- Sjögren's syndrome (furthermore you have symptoms like, dry mouth, eyes, lungs, throat, joint pain, etc).

- Acute bacterial infection

- Sialolithiasis (salivary duct stones)

- Ductal stenosis

Also this could be totally different diagnosis, therefore I suggest you to make appointment with your doctor to get more precise info.

I find my salivary gland swelling pain relief is general "Tylonal." Two 500 mg capsules and 10 minutes later, the pain is tolerable. I attribute decaf coffee as the trigger this time. In fact, it's a good idea to stay away from coffee for everybody! You really don't need it. Coffee is really a drug that hasn't been regulated because the coffee mfr lobby is very powerful.

I had a swollen salivary gland on my right side of the mouth. I thought it was simply where I had bitten my cheek in the night. Luckily, I had a dentist appointment that week and asked him about the swollen flap of skin on my mouth. he immediately told me it was a swollen saliva gland and that it was nothing to be alarmed about. He said its common and that it usually works itself out in a few days.

I was just diagnosed with a swollen salivary gland yesterday. My diagnosis came from an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon has ordered a CAT scan - I was told that there could be a calcium deposit (a stone) or a benign tumor in there blocking the gland. Those are two of the most common reasons for swollen salivary glands. If you haven't had a CAT scan, I'd suggest getting a referral to an oral surgeon