I am medical student and I have one question for you. I do revision for my next exam and I don’t have enough time do research. But, this morning my colleague and I are in the huge discussion about swollen salivary glands. She also studies medicine and she tries to convince me that swollen salivary glands represent delicate, but usually minor health problem. I haven’t been studied that subject yet, but in my memory I have idea that swollen salivary glands could be signal of cancer. Who is right?

Your question is very interesting and I have to admit that you are both right. Swollen glands, including swollen salivary glands, are no reason for concern. They usually show us that our body fights with minor infection, fewer, animal bites or small cuts. Swelling salivary glands appears like respond to different kinds of salivary glands infections or other conditions in the body where infection is. Salivary tumors are rare and they are usually benign, only occasionally they are malignant (which means cancerous).
More serious infections make glands large and to become firm and tender. If you have more swollen glands elsewhere in body, that is reason for serious cancer examinations.

There is also an auto-immune disease, Sjogren's Syndrome that causes swollen parotid glands