Almost every day I get this shooting pain on either side of my cheeks,back of my ears swell,my cheeks get really swallon. And my parital glands swell, and when I gently press behind my ear and on the side of my face. Something comes out of the salivary duct, it something like pus but its not pus. the ENT said its too thick to be pus. He said he has never seen something like this before. After that yellowish slimy looking stuff comes out the swelling starts to go down. But if I cant push that stuff out the swelling stays as long as I cant push that stuff out. Its not stones, got a CT done it doent show anything. have gone to 7 or 8 doctors no one can figure out what is it.Can you suggest anything, any ideas PLEASE. by the way this has been going on more than 3 years now.

Health Advisor
Have you tried seeing an endocrinologist?

There are two condition that I could have thought of:
Sialadenitis, which is an inflammation and enlargement of one or more of the salivary glands. This condition can be both acute and chronic. The most common symptoms are tender lump in the cheek or under the chin; a discharge of pus from the duct into the mouth that usually smells bad. It the problem persists and becomes severe, a patient may feel sick with chills and fever.

Another condition is called Sialadenosis. Tell me, what is your general health like? Do you have problems with weight?

Sialadenosis means that there’s a swelling of the parotid glands on both sides of the face, in the cheeks and below the ears but the cause cannot be found. This condition prefers people who have troubles with weight, eating disorders, pregnant women, alcohol abusers and thyroid diseases.
I would suggest you saw an endocrinologist.

My health seems to be fine, no weight problems, This started a few weeks later when I gave birth to my daughter. I also have swelling in my armpits since then, does salivary glands and armpits glands have something to do with each other?

Health Advisor
You didn’t tell me if you saw an endocrinologist and had a lymph node biopsy.

Lymph node biopsy should be performed in order to check for infections or diseases.
I can’t figure out that this has been going on for more than three years now.

Have you had any tests to check your body’s immune system? After all, lymph nodes are a part of the immune system.
Also, pus is made from large numbers of white cells that form immune system. Pus indicates a fight against infection. Have your ears been checked as well?

Can you tell us more about the tests and possible diagnoses your doctor had made?

No, I haven,t seen an endocrinlogist yet? Is endocrinologist someone who is a doctor for glands? I have an appointmet tommorow with the ENT. Last week he took that slimy stuff and send in for a lab test. maybe they can tell what it is, but I doubt it. Do you know if my salivary gland and my underarm glands have something to do with each other?

Health Advisor
Hello Zara!
Honestly, I am not aware of any connection between salivary and armpit glands, but I am no doctor. That is why I have been thinking that you should see an endocrinologist. Although, they usually do hormonal problems, I am also sure that they can make diagnosis if there was a disease that is affecting the glands (this further means hormone production). I am not even sure that your problems are hormone relation but since no other doctor is capable of making diagnoses, maybe an endocrinologist could help. They treat conditions that may involve many systems within your body.

Did this ENT physician said if he suspected anything when he took the “pus” for lab tests? When are you about to receive the results?

I just can’t believe that nobody has tested the stuff before. Let me know how it went!

Good luck!

My salivay glands are always a bit swollen but sometimes it goes down, but not completely. Ny doctor gave me antibiotics twice but no improvement. I've also had 3 ultrasounds around that area but we still dont know whats wrong with me. I've heard of massages that help with the drainage, how is this done?

I have had a hole at the top of both ears where my ear attaches to my head since I was born. This hole produces a thick yellow substance that smells like cheese when I press behind them. The left side is always worse than the right. The gland that is in the area is now swollen and very painful. This has only happened once before and seems to be for the same reason. blockage of the hole. I have also asked my doctor about this hole and he did not know what it is. This seems very strange that so many doctors are not familiar with this.

I had something with the inflamation of my parotid gland when I was younger and it took them a long time to figureout what it was. I remember getting shots in my thighs and(I know this sounds crazy bit another part of the treatment that my ENT-dr.mcbride(?) said to do, (I know it sounds crazy) but, it was to eat sour skittles or other sour things and drink slurpies! See if that helps:) good luck!