I have heard it is possible to got swollen glands from heroin use. Since I have 18 years old son, off course I am very concerned about drug and alcohol. This fact I have heard worried me because I think I have noticed something like swollen glands on his neck. Could it really be caused of heroin use? He is often very health young man, but I don’t like his friends, I’m afraid they use drugs.

I have neighbor that has used drugs on and off since age 14 which is one of the reasons he never finished high school. He began injecting heroin at the age of 24, shortly after his son was born. He has been in recovery from heroin use for 3 years and attends Narcotics Anonymous meetings. He completed a drug treatment program, but there he learned he is HIV positive. From a physical standpoint, my neighbor has swollen glands, so probably that is because of heroin use, and maybe even because of HIV. Beside this, he has intermittent fevers and he has lost about 5% of his base body weight. He has thrush and because of this and his swollen glands, he was finding eating uncomfortable. Also he is fatigued and depressed. That swollen glands you have noticed doesn’t have to mean he use heroin, but if you have any doubt you need serious talk to him. If he refuse, take him to the doctor, he will check if he is heroin user, and check the cause of swollen glands, it can be some disease too.

Thanks for telling us all about your neighbour...have you bugged his house or something, to know all this tittle tattle!  Best you dont tell us where you live, huh?

Jumping to conclusions about someone else is a dangerous game...if he has AIDS, perhaps, just perhaps, that causes swollen glands?  But perhaps he is like a lot of us here, swollen salivary glands for unknown simple innocent reasons, such as a salivary stone. 

If the other persons son only exhibits swollen salivary glands, and she in her concern, (understandable worry for anyone with teenagers is drugs and the company they keep) has made an irrational link between salivary glands and heroin use then I think it would be better to look for the more obivious clues of hard drug use.  I hope he is not on heroin as it is a serious problem.  But with respect, you have asked a question "does heroin cause swollen glands" and then jumped to a type of conclusion that it does and say, well my son has swollen salivary glands so I think it is drugs.

How do you propose to get a teenager of nearly adult age to be frog-marched to his doctor with you?  He has a right to say no to this draconian treatment proposed.  Perhaps talking to a telephone helpline for partents of drug users may help you sort out your feelings and what the real facts and issues are?

However I am interested to know if there is a connection with opiates from wheat and milk, and swollen salivary glands, and allergic reactions to gluten and dairy products...sorry to go on, it is just you touched a nerve with me about people jumping to conclusions.

you have some points. but you communicate like an insufferable douche.

Maybe you're just closeminded and assume the worst?