Hello. I'm 20 year old female and I would like to find out more about how salivary glands are functioning.
I have noticed that there are no rules. Sometimes saliva is being produced when a food is in the mouth, and sometimes presence of food isn’t necessary at all. I have also read that there are many conditions that can affect this strange gland such as tumors, inflammation and stones.
Please, could anyone tell me more about exact physiology if these salivary glands! I would also appreciate if someone could explain me some facts about major saliva purpose!
Thanks!

Hello. I'm a medical student and I have familiar with some facts concerning normal salivary gland functioning.
You see, the basic units of salivary glands are groups of cells called acini which produce saliva- fluid that contains water, electrolytes, mucus and enzymes.
It is true that stimulus for increased salivation include the presence of food in the mouth, and thoughts of or the smell of food. Saliva has several very important roles.
It works as a lubricant making slippery balls from food. It also solubilizes dry food and makes it easier to swallow. It flushes away the food from the mouth keeping it pretty clean, not only from particles of food by from all kinds of bacteria. Several conditions can affect salivary glands- tumors, and not so rare- stones can block the salivary ducts!