I went to my doctor today and he told me I have a narrow salivary gland. For the past year or so I have been have severe paint underneath my tongue every couple of weeks, the pain last a matter of seconds and is at the back of my mouth underneath my tongue. After the pain goes away I feel like I've got lots of saliva in my mouth. My doctor said he thinks it is a narrow salivary gland which sometimes blocks and that is what causes the pain I told him about.... now this pain I suffer is like nothing I have ever experienced before its like a burning, stinging pain its awful!! All he told me to do was go away and massage my jaw and drink plenty of fluids and until the pain was constant there wasn't much they could do. I am really worried about this because I feel asthough he may have got it all wrong. surely the cause of this severe pain I am experiencing from time to time cannot be so minor???

Years ago my son had a similar problem, he was young. General practice doctor would prescribe an antibiotic for 10 days and the throat swelling would go away and re-appear in about 3 days. We did this procedure twice, then they sent us to an ENT. This guy was unreal ! We walked in and he said I know what he has, I had it when I was a kid. Under the tongue, the little piece connecting your tongue to your mouth had a tiny calcium deposit. The doctor made a tiny incision, got the calcium deposit, no bigger than a pin head and he was fine.

I work for an Oral surgeon and we see patients with your symptoms all of the time. It sounds like you have a blocked sublingual salivary gland. they usually become blocked by a very small calcium deposit that fluxuates in size. This explains the pain that comes and goes. The treatment for this is drinking lots of water, massaging under your chin, sucking on very sour hard candy (this will stimulate your gland) such as a lemon drop, or antibiotics. Sometimes an infection will present itself if the gland becomes blocked for a long period of time. If you go to your Dentist or find an Oral surgeon in your area, they can take an Occlusal film to detect any salivary gland stones. If you do have a stone or stones (yes there can be more than one) sometimes they require to be surgically removed. It can be done under Local Anesthesia (numbing the area) with a small incision and some manipulation.

I was just wondering how painful this operation is. I realize that the actual procedure might not be that bad, but how about the irritation for the few days afterward?

i wonder if such calcium structures could be found(detected and surgically removed) in sublingual salivary gland,is it possible to look for similar in the other gland,producing saliva(the ones behind the jaw and below the ears)?
thanks a lot

Salivary gland stones can be detected by an occlusal xray at your oral surgeons office or if the oral surgeon suspects another stone farther down in the duct he will order a CT of the Head and Neck to rule out any possible obstructing stones. At first you will be told to drink a lot of water and possibly to try to use sour hard candy to promote our gland to push the stone out itself. An antibiotic is sometimes prescribed to prevent any infection from occurring where the stone is blocked. If the radiologic results prove there is a stone and it is closer to the opening of the duct your oral surgeon will possibly be able to remove it in an office setting. However if the duct if farther away from the opening your oral surgeon may take you to the hospital to remove it or refer you to an ENT Doctor.

My 13 year old is due to have an operation on Friday 23rd March to have a lump cut out of her salivary gland which is blocked. She has a biggish purple lump on the inside of her lip. They have said that as the lump has been there for so long it will have to be removed by surgery. She will be having a general anthesetic and it will be done as day surgery. Hope this helps

I have a little lump inside my lips and ENT specialist said the slivery glands are blocked and it needs to be surgicaly removed. Can you post the result of your son's surgery, how many days it took to heal and was the surgery painful?

Thanks!

I have one actually on the soft palate, right above where my wisdom teeth would be. My ENT specialist is removing it on friday. The bump is always there, but about once a week it flares up when I eat. then a day later it goes back down. Not really painful, I feel it start to tingle, then the sensation of a seed stuck to my mouth. I was worried it might be cancer, but my dentist did a brush biopsy and it came back negative. I was being treated for acid reflux and my ENT doctor diagnosed the bump as a blocked minor salivary gland. I've had it since Dec.

my question is for everybody else. Is your bump or lump always there and then flares up?

Mine are not always a bump, but do flare up when I eat. They are always in the same three spots.

Hi! All I have the same thing just came back from the Doctors .Everytime I would eat my glands would flare up especially when I would drink something or eat something with acid.Then I would put ice in it and it would go down.But my ear has been bothering me for some time I think that was the start of it.My Doctor said swimmers could get this and I did notice it starting back when I first went swimming.He told me to suck on a lemon or keep drinking th orange juice and that will open it up and flush out the calcium or stone.So hope it works. :-P

On 5/7/007, I had intense pain on rightside of jaw, swelling and pain down right side of neck. Dentist gave antiobiotics and sent my to root canla specialist. Next to oral surgeon who took out absecced top molar on July 20, 2007. Thought I would get relief. NOPE! Went to ENT for soar throat and said I have chronic creptic tonsils and they should come out. Well today I woke with the usual pain and swelling in right jaw and neck with painful inside of mouth (Actually a mandibular tori is bothering me) but also my underside of jaw was black and blue. Back to oral surgean (2 1/2 hours in with doc! Great docs I have!) My salvary gland is swollen and there is a mass. Xray showed no stones. Neddle used to get it flowing with no luck. Doc said it may have to come out with tonsil. I said get it out now! Monday going to ENT with file from oral surgeon to hopefully get MRI/cat scan and consult.

Funny thing is that I was recently diagnosed with BLEPHARITIS of the eyes. My glands in my eyelids are blocked with goop and I have white spots throughout inside of eyelid. I also get ulcers (little bubbles) on the eyelid near my lashes. Prescribed steroid/antiobiotics and told to do hot compresses and message to get oil flowing (just as with the salivary gland). ALSO, my I get tonsil stones (stinky brownish balls that I cough up) which are bacteria and cells in a mass.

Just wandering if anyone has similiar problems and if these are all related??? It would help to know if they are because I am scared to death! Especially with the mass in the salvary gland.

My gland is swollen all the time not just when I eat.

Over a month ago, I also had severe pain upon eating and the area under my jaw was swollen. The oral surgeon diagnosed an infection in my salivary duct, and I was treated with 20 days of antibiotices (10 days at first but when it didn't go away totally after 10 days, he gave me another 10 days.) Now, the infection is gone (no pus) but the gland appears to be blocked. When he presses on it, it only lets out a small amount of saliva, unlike the gland on the other side. He wants to do an MRI of the head and neck, I see others got CT scans.....

Is there an expert in this that I can consult?

I just read info on the cancer and now I am so scared. It is often overseen and turns out to be cancer. I am getting a second opinon from a specialist. I am so worried now. It just appeared out of nowhere and it's swollen and sore. What do I do?

HI all, im still waiting on an ent or dental hospital appointment, my twin sister and i were given 4 lots of antibiotics, the doctor told us to drink fluids and rest, which i have been doing for over 3 weeks, my relatives kept joking that i must be eating too much chocolate (which i cannot eat due to diabetes in the family) and sometimes people are very stupid indeed! Worse when i go to chew, or at night when i am lying down, i was given a tooth bridge to wear as sometimes i move my jaw in my sleep, fobbed off 3 times back to dentists and doctor again, and just found out my doctor referred my sister twice to the ent clinic instead of me, bravo nhs scotland! I have tenderness and pain way up behind the wisdom teeth upper both sides, and also pain in the glands just in front of the ears and under the ears and sometimes under the jaw which i massage, its important to drink enough fluids, i noticed my face swells more if im in a hot room and am better in cold conditions. Also tried sucking on lemon drops and it just didnt help the pain ie must be even the tiniest blockage can cause a lot of pain, something to note, you all need to stop worrying about cancer, it isnt always that, though each are different, being stressed or run down doesnt help, also if you have any history of gall bladder, or kidney probs or stones, probs digesting calcium or salts or been on too many medications or are diabetic, this can be linked to a blocked salivary gland, i find it amazing that my doctor has not put two and two together and realised its diabetes........ would have been quicker going to spain to see a specialist than waiting in the UK, i hope this helps! x