Please tell me something about prostate seed implants as a method of therapy of prostate cancer. My grandfather was diagnosed prostate cancer 2 weeks ago. He is on chemotherapy now, but is scheduled to have surgery with seed implants. I hope that it is riskless? And how effective it is?

Seed implants is therapy that is used in early stages of prostate cancer. It is type of radiation therapy. Radioactive seeds are injected under the anesthesia into the prostate gland and there they emit radiation that kills cancer cells. These seeds remain in body permanently, even when emission ends. This procedure has number of benefits and with fewer side effects, level of radiation is very low and the surrounding structures like bladder and urethra are out of its emission range. The precaution is to avoid spending much time with children and pregnant women, because of their safety.