I was wondering if temazapan or only valium are used to detox off alcohol my sister is doing a home detox which concerns me as I detoxed years ago in a rehab and was given valium not temazapan she said her doctor said they are one of the same thing,is this true
Cheers,
Sue

If her doctor indeed told her that valium and temazepam are the same thing, then she needs to see another doctor.

Temazepam is an intermediate-acting 3-hydroxy benzodiazepine. It is generally prescribed for the short-term treatment of sleeplessness in patients who have difficulty maintaining sleep.

Temazepam is a hypnotic. Since benzodiazepines can be abused and lead to psychological dependence, their use should be avoided in people in certain particularly high risk groups. High risk groups include people with a history of alcohol or drug abuse or dependence. If temazepam is indeed prescribed to people in these groups, they should generally be monitored very closely for signs of abuse and development of psychological dependence.