Next week my sister and her family will come to us. She told me something about his son illness. He is suffering from congenital hypothyroid. So, I am interested what kind of disease is that. Is it infectious? Should be I frightened for my children? How should we behave with the kid?

Congenital hypothyroid or hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease. It is mostly caused by thyroid gland digenesis. This kids suffer from severe disorders, such as tiredness, weakness, dry skin, feeling cold, hair loss, difficulty concentrating etc. You can recognize these children because of his dry coarse skin, cool peripheral extremities and putty face. The most important is that congenital hypothyroid is not infectious, so you should not be afraid for your family.

congenital hypothyroidism is not infectious at all. I am a 36 year old female and was diagnosed with CH when i was 2 months old. I have to say though, I never had putty like features as the person above says.
I was however a little clumsy as a child and probably still can be at times ha ha. There is no reason why your sister's son won't grow up normally at all. I do find i get tired more quickly and much to my dismay i find it rather hard to lose weight in comparison with my peers who can eat largely what they like. I'm healthy and happy though and have 2 kids of my own who happily have not inherited CH. :-P