I need a definition of what Hoshimotos Disease is. I have been told that I have had it for 20 years but i don't feel that i understand all of what it entails.

Hashimoto's disease is a disorder in which your immune system begins to attack your thyroid gland. The attack causes the thyroid to become enlarged and irritated making it less effective in producing hormones.

This disorder may lead to hypothyroidism- dysfunction of the thyroid gland when it doesn’t produces enough hormone but this happens at later stages.
Hashimoto's disease progresses slowly and if there is no evidence of thyroid hormone deficiency, then patient won’t be given any treatment but will be regularly observed.

Some patients, on the other hand, may be given a hormone replacement therapy. This means they would get thyroid hormone in form of tablets.

What did your doctor tell you?