I am very interested into thyroid gland disorders lately. I read a lot about hypothyroidism, which seemed the most interesting to me. I found some information about it on the net, newspapers and in some books too. Problem is that I couldn’t find anything about treating condition such as hypothyroidism is. Besides treating babies, I couldn’t find anything about hypothyroid medications.

Each thyroid related problem, disorder or disease cause imbalance in production thyroid hormones. That’s why for treating hypothyroidism are used thyroid hormone drugs. Important is to mention that thyroid hormone drugs are used, alone or together with other therapeutic agents, for the treatment of obesity too. Larger doses of hypothyroid medications might produce serious or even life threatening manifestations of toxicity. Severe and prolonged hypothyroidism can lead to a decreased level of adrenocortical activity commensurate with the lowered metabolic state. When thyroid replacement therapy is administered the metabolism increases at a greater rate than adrenocortical activity. Therefore, in severe and prolonged hypothyroidism supplemental adrenocortical steroids may be necessary. Estrogen, oral contraceptives tend to increase serum thyroxine binding globulin. Thyroid preparations may potentiate the toxic effects of digitalis. In rare instances, allergic skin reactions have been reported with Cytomel tablets. Adverse reactions of hypothyroid medications, other than those indicative of hyperthyroidism because of therapeutic over dosage, either initially or during the maintenance period are rare.