I have heard for hypothyroidism, which is a condition that body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. Since the main purpose of thyroid hormone is to run the body's metabolism, I found it understandable that people with this condition will have symptoms associated with a slow metabolism. I know this since my neighbor has problem with hypothyroid disease. I found him some way slow, so I wanted to hear an explanation. Can you tell me more about this problem hypothyroid disease?

Many people have this common medical condition, in fact, as many as ten percent of women may have some degree of thyroid hormone deficiency. Hypothyroidism is more common than anyone would believe. You should understand that millions of people are currently hypothyroid and they even do not know this. Each individual patient will have any number of these symptoms, which will vary with the severity of the thyroid hormone deficiency. Symptoms might also wary about the length of time the body has been deprived of the proper amount of hormone. Some patients will have one of these symptoms as their main complaint, while another will not. However, most will have a combination of a number of these typical hypothyroid disease symptoms. Occasionally, some patients with hypothyroidism have no symptoms at all. Treatment of hypothyroidism can be quite easy in some individuals, but others will have a difficult time finding the right type and amount of replacement thyroid hormone.