Hello, I am 48 year old, female. I just have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
It was really difficult to my doctor to set the right diagnose. Why are ills of thyroid gland so hard to identify? I also noticed that most of the patients are women.

Women are five to ten times more likely than men to have thyroid dysfunction. Some types of thyroid disease run in families. Although many women get thyroid disorders, doctors often fail to recognize it because the wide varieties of symptoms are similar to other illnesses, that’s why is not surprising that your doctor had problem too. Thyroid illness or disorders are: hypothyroidism, where the thyroid releases too little hormone so the body's metabolism goes too slowly, hyperthyroidism means that thyroid releases too much hormone and the body's metabolism goes too fast and thyroid nodules and swellings, the tissue of the thyroid can overgrow, resulting in a nodule, or small lump, in part of the gland.