I find after I drink sometimes that I have chronic leg pain from the tops of my legs and into my calfs. Sometimes it may be from only a few drinks and sometimes after a big night. The pain is very severe it keeps me up all night. It doesn't seem to matter if I have been sitting down at a dinner or standing or doing both for the pain to occur that night and into the following day. Is this something to do with circulation or DVT?

I have similar symptoms - anybody any ideas?

I am not just feeling leg pain, I also feel chest pain after drinking alcohol, jaw pain, and I really don't want to mention a head pain. I can say that I was really reading about this and it has its name indeed. It seems that people who have this problem, they have a problem with alcoholic neuropathy. It is a diagnose with peripheral nerves that have been damaged by too many alcoholic drinks, and it seems that your body reacts this way. Well, the peripheral nerves transmit signals between the body, the spinal cord, and the brain and that is why you have bones pain. 

I have the same problem. Aching pain, usually in the shins, but sometimes in the thighs as well. Any wisdom anyone?

I have the same problem...it doesn't matter if I have 2 or 20 drinks, but the back of my thighs and my shins willl hurt so bad after drinking I can barely walk. This has only been going on for about the last year or so and my Dr. doesn't have a clue. The easy answer is to stop drinking, but I'm worried that its a little more serious.

Well...leg pain after drinking happens due to not proper digestion of alcohol.Liver plays vital role in digesting alcohol.well....high alcohol intake can cause weak liver.muscle pain (especially leg muscle pain) happens if one drinks more quantity of alcohol in one sitting.and this is the common problem with the persons who are regular drinkers.so the best solution is to avoid alcohol ...leave it permanently...well...I know it's not easy to avoid alcohol if you are regular with it,but I am sure that an alcoholic person's liver doesn't function well...I have an advice for you guys.Eat bananas the day after you had consumed alcohol.well...next day people suffer from hang-over and bad stomach.it's normal thing cuz it happens with everyone.and in some hours person feels well.but if you feel some kind of muscle pain just visit market and buy bananas.eat bananas.it will give you relief,cuz after alcohol intake the level of potassium in the body gets low.so eating banana increase the level of potassium and gives relief.all d best guys and take care of your health.

SLASH

I have the same thing.

I KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT (cud be just me tho)

I figured it only happens when i drink cola and then (even few hours later) i drink alcohol(even as weak as beer (i am russian...)). Sounds ridiculous but its true for me. Its not caffeine because i drink vodka red bull all the time no problem. But when i drink cola prior going out and/or switch to (cola) after drinking alc, i have pain an hour later...
yesterday had no cola; drank 5 vodka redbulls and one beer at a club, drove home, had no pain but cudnt fall asleep hehehe.

I have had this problem of pain in the legs from my lower thighs or above the knee down to my ankles and feet. I had no idea it was because of alcohol because when I drank...I would feel fine and had no pain. I normally drink on the weekends, so that is two to three "sessions" per week. My legs would hurt so bad at work, I thought it was from being on hard floors. My legs would feel stiff, swollen, sore and inflammed, burning and hot. Once Thursday/Friday rolled around, my legs hurt less and I would feel better...so I would drink and have fun! Yippee!! Then...pain by mid day Monday all over again.
Last weekend I did not drink...so no alcohol for 11 days. I felt great, I was pain free for over one week. No pain at all. So, to celebrate last night I had 3 rum and cokes. Coke or soda alone does not cause any pain. Diet sodas are poison to me...but regular soda does not cause pain...so, it is the alcohol and this is why I think so...
Somebody posted about how the liver cannot handle certain amounts of alcohol and I totally agree. Overtime I think the level it can handle decreases. As alcohol remains in the blood and our circulation to our outter extremities decreases as well as heartrate decreases during sleep...the alcohol actually dehydrates and does other harm to the vessels in the lower legs like killing the cell layers of the inner membranes of the vessels. The 'polluted" blood is then absorbed into muscle, nerve, tendon and ligament tissue where it does damage as well.
Yes folks, this is not good...VERY BAD!!! One bad thing about alcohol is the bad effects are not felt while using it...it makes us feel good for the time being.
There are so many negative attributes that go along with alcohol...the serotonin problem, liver problems, driving/death problems...but man, whe Friday or Saturday comes around I REALLY, REALLY want a drink...or something. And no...I don't want to talk to a therapist about my "problems" or my stress. I have a dog for that. He listens really well and will see me on my time.
Maybe the should just legalize weed and save the burden our healthcare system is under from scirossis of the liver. Don't try saying smoking weed gives you lung cancer...cause you can make a tea (imagine a mint/weed sweet icetea; mmmmmmm) or eat it!!! YIPPEEEE!!!
But I am going to stop drinking. Now that my brain is associating alcohol to the pain I should have a better chance a quitting. Once my body sees how great it is to not be in pain it will not miss the alcohol. But I wish Valium was OTC!!!!!

But I am going to stop drinking. Now that my brain is associating alcohol to the pain I should have a better chance a quitting. Once my body sees how great it is to not be in pain it will not miss the alcohol. But I wish Valium was OTC!!!!! And wha tI really do not get is why doctors are not more willing or able to tell this to people as a possible reason for their pain if it happens after they drink.

"Drank 5 vodka redbulls and one beer at a club, drove home"

Do ya really think that's a good idea? Forget the leg pain...you could have killed yourself...seriously. I have gotten 2 dui's and I will never drink and drive again...not just because I don't want to get in trouble, but it's DUMB! Please, get it together...

I have been a drinker for a very long time and the time has come for me to stop. One of the reasons is the leg pain I have after I drink. This started about a year ago and I am very concerned about it. I have done some research into it and have confirmed what I thought after some blood tests. It seems that ever increasing amounts of alcohol will deplete the body's electrolyte level over time. Too much depletion will cause muscle cramps due to nerve damage. The body's nervous system relies on electrolytes to convey the chemical messages to the muscles. Without them the nervous system has a tendency to "misfire" causing cramps, pain and random twitching. The only solution of course is to stop drinking alcohol. The symptoms are supposed to fade over time with a proper diet and exercise to rebuild the muscular and nervous systems. Lord I hope so, because my legs are killing me.

I also have the leg pain after drinking. I quit for about ten days and then binged about 4 days ago. I had about 10 beers and I'm only slightly over 100 lbs. Anyway the pain is worse than it has ever been, all the way from my butt cheeks to my feet along with twitches, spasms and a burning/tingling feeling. I know tis can't be good and I'm going to have to give up the drinking once and for all. I'm wondering how long this pain is going to last. I read about alcoholic neuropathy and some sources say that it can be permanent. This is really scaring me.

Slash has it right. The more dysfunctional the liver becomes, the more pain that a person will incur in the lower legs when sleeping. There may be underlying issues that you may not be aware of such as possibly having Hepatitic C which is generally not known by the patient until a LFT has been performed. For those with this problem, see your doctor, describe the pain and the fact that it occurs after a night of drinking ETOH and when they give the order for blood, make sure that he put's you in for a Liver Function Test (LFT) to determine if you have a clinical reason for why this is happening. If you are a chronic drinker and you are experiencing this type of pain on more than just an occasional basis, then get checked out asap. Until then, stop drinking so damn much.......
signed,
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV...

I agree, and drinking a lot can make it much harder for your liver to function. I know it's not easy to quit if you drink a lot, but do try to cut back as mucha s you can. Let me know what you're thinking.

Does this mean i am allergic to alcohol ? my shins and calfs always ache after drinking just one drink of alcohol.