Hi folks! I’m new here! I have had a look around the site and it seems like you have a lot of knowledgeable people who enjoy dishing out advice on these boards. Just what I need! I have just got a new job taking care of elderly people and people with disabilities. I’ll be going to their houses, cooking and cleaning for them, doing their groceries and things like that. I’ve got one client so far – a youngish woman with crohn’s disease. I’m gonna be meeting her for the first time at the end of the week, and I’d like a bit more info on what crohn’s disease feels like. Could you help?

Welcome! As an Autoimmune Disorder that affects the intestines, one of Crohn’s Disease’s symptoms is diarrhea with bowel cramps. We’ve all had the runs at some point or another, so I am sure you will be able to relate. Only with Crohn's, it is much worse. Sounds like this might be a bit of a challenge for you, if you are going to be cleaning this lady’s house… Those affected by Crohn’s have a chronic inflammation of the digestive system, which can cause a range of symptoms, which are not the same for every person with the disease. They can include bowel bleeding and anemia, cysts and fistulas. There are other possible complications as well, but I am not sure if you want me to go into them?

Thanks for your reply. That is interesting, but doesn’t tell me much about how the person with Crohn’s disease might be feeling. Do you happen to know how much the disorder affects a patient’s life, generally speaking of course? What kind of medical attention do they tend to need? Is there ongoing pain medication or other treatments? Do people with Crohn's disease need perations and the like? I’d be greatful for any additional info!