Okay so i was an id**t and I've torn my right calf muscle so i'm on crutches for quite a few weeks :( I've been on them for a few days now and my shoulders and my wrists are killing me!!!! I know its normal because all of your weight is going through them, but i was wondering if anyone who had been on crutches before knew anyways to help the pain :) any suggestions would be welcome :) xxx

Hi Black Cherry,

I'm on crutches right now and have been for over 8 weeks and no sore arms unless if I over-exert myself, shopping or so.  Make sure they are not right in your armpits, you want to have at least a 3 finger gap.  Wrap some clothes or go to a wheelchair place and they sell the soft lamb fur that makes it more comfortable for over top of the top part.

There are knee walkers - you put your knee on top and 'hop' or walk with other foot.  Not sure where your hands are, maybe google it?  You often can get accessories or these items from your local Red Cross with a doctors note.

There is also the forearm crutches where it takes the pressure out of your upper arms and arm pits and puts them on your lower part of arm, I've also used this type and like it OK.

Hope this helps and happy healing to you and me!  Positive thoughts

Of course a wheel chair is always an option too - LOL.

oh I'm sorry to hear your injured, 8 weeks!!! that's a long time! ive been on mine for like 4 days and im giveing up already :P hope you get better :) and thank for the advice i will wrap clothes around the hand holing parts because they hurt like hell!! and i like the wheel chair idea ;P lol

I actually had major bunion repair done - so my own torture. Another 4 or so weeks on them and in the aircast as well. I like the wheelchair too - hehehehe. I'm lazy though.

but you will most likely have gotten those bunions from some really nice shoes, and because on my injury im not allowed to wear my prom shoes to prom Because in still going to be on crutches :'( another 4 weeks???? :O i dont think i could last that long on crutches!

No actually mine were genetics. I just got the shitty end of the stick, I'm the youngest of 4 and both my sisters and my mom have them but never no surgery for them, just me. Soooo lucky.

Fancy shoes? What are those, never been able to wear those in my life. No heels for me, I would kill myself in heels now.

oh man i feel so sorry for you! i dont know what i would do without my lovely shoes, i love them, and ill kill myself in heels now too haha

Well, it was almost to the point of old lady shoes - you know which one i'm talking about?

You can get some pretty cute flats, flip flop (fancy ones). Go to a wedding store and look at bridal shoes and you can get the dyed to match your dress? Always an option.

awww that's not good :( *hugs all round* and yeah that's what i was planning but my dress is short so they have to be amazing shoes and i only have like 5 weeks to find them, i dont even know if i will be off my crutches for then :(

I have faith that you are going to find the best shoes ever! Positive thoughts your way and the shoes way................

thank you :3 i really hope you get better, 8 weeks already plus more would annoy me to no end!! and it sucks even more that its genetic!

I already am, and I'm so used to it at this point that they are just like an arm or leg already.

when you finally get off them it will be really weird not having them