I had surgery on July 26th and 2 screws were inserted - stitches removed 11 days later. In a black boot and wheelchair - no weight bearing allowed. How soon will I be able to wear regular shoes - or will I be in the boot walking on two feet? This is so frustrating as it is my right foot and I cannot drive. Any insight would be great - and thanks to everyone - this site is so helpful!

Laura

Each doctor may have different time lines and ways of getting you back on your feet and into shoes. As for me it was about 7 weeks before I was allowed to start some weight bearing, but it still had to be in the black boot. Even when I was finally allow full weight bearing while walking I had to do it in the boot. Around week 12 I think I was allowed to start weaning off the boot and try to wear a shoe part of the day. However this takes a few weeks as well since the foot will still swell and the shoe may not feel too good. So for me I would say it was about 15 weeks post surgery before I could wear a shoe full time again. I used to wear normal width shoes but I had (and still do) have to wear a wide shoe.
I know it is, and it will be, frustrating but do as your doctor says and do not try and rush anything. These injuries need to heal correctly.
Good luck.

I, just yesterday, go the ok to partial weight bear in the boot. Like you, I was in a wheelchair. I thought, yea! I will be able to walk a little, however have discovered it is not that easy. I know it has only been a day, but I have tried twice to walk a little with crutches and it hurts and my whole leg is so weak. I had been in the chair for two months. My doctor isn't very informative about prognosis...he goes from week to week when I see him. He did not say anything about the pain now or the difficulty of any weight on it. Im so frustrated.

Hi Charlieswife!

My surgery was June 8th, and I just have been in regular tie-up shoes for about three weeks, but that is only for limited amounts of time. I had to work up to most of the day. My PT is very good at working out the swelling in my foot, and I am acutely aware of how different activities affect my foot.
I, like Something More, had difficulty wearing the boot. I was very willing to try it as long as possible, but a horrible rash ended that so I was put back into a sandal surgical shoe and instructed to walk on my heel. The shoe actually aids the tipping back action anyway. Hope you'll get to drive soon, though if you're non-weightbearing or only partially so, some trips will still be out of the question logistically speaking. Nearly 4 mos. after surgery, my wheelchair and walker are still in the car for those occasional trips to the mall (w/someone to help with the chair) or a large store (where I know I'm liable to tire and need to sit). Hang in there!