I spent the month of August on crutches (non-weightbearing) to heal a stress fracture in my left hip (femur neck). Somehow, I managed to suffer a injury to my left foot while sleeping about 4 weeks into non-weightbearing. I was at my father's house and I was sleeping on my back so I wouldn't put pressure on my hip. The sheets/bedding were tucked into the bed extremely tight and, since I was on my back, I fell asleep with held in a dorsiflexed position (foot bent back towards my body) by the sheets. I awoke in the middle of the night with a intense cramping pain (almost like a charlie horse) in the top of my foot. I thought that it was just a cramp so I tried to massage the foot causing a burning type of pain to spread throughout the top of my foot. I took tylenol. This intense pain lasted for about 5 minutes or so before it started to ease. I went back to bed and the next morning I noticed a sharp pain in the top of my foot if i bent the foot up. Later on that day, when I put my shoes on, i noticed that my sneaker felt a little tighter. I took my shoe off and saw that their was slight swelling in the foot. There was no bruising though. I was non-weightbearing for another 2 weeks but continued to feel a sharp pain whenever I bent the foot up. Once I was allowed to walk again, I had to limp because of pain in the top of my foot. I wasn't sure how much of it was attributed to non-use or the injury. The swelling went away as soon as I started using the foot again. I also started Celebrex at that time to treat inflammation in my hip. I have been walking for 4 weeks now and still feel a sharp pain in my mid-foot when I push off the foot. It is probably about a 2 out of 10 in terms of intensity and isn't as bad as when I first started walking. There doesn't appear to be swelling or bruising. Occasionally, my ankle also aches. It doesn't bother me as much in high heels, when I am my running sneakers, or my vans/skater sneakers. I had it checked out by a doctor a week ago. She sent me for x-rays of the foot (non-weightbearing) to rule out a stress fracture. They came back normal. She thinks I might have strained some ligaments and wants to start me with physical therapy. I'm concerned that I might have a lisfranc strain since I've had midfoot pain for a month and a half. I asked my physical therapist ( currently I am going for the hip) and she said I wouldn't be able to walk if i had a lisfranc injury. Is this true? i have a follow-up appt with the doctor in three weeks and if i still have pain then she'll consider other imaging. Should I wait that long? Other info, I supinate (more so in the left foot), also have a bunion in the left foot, and I am 25. Sorry for the long story but i'm nervous.

Hi there, I think that waiting that long wouldn't be a bad idea since it sounds like things are a little vague about the issues in your foot. I'm sure you're anxious, but I think it would be worht your time. What do you think?