I am 23 years old and have two horrible bunions but am getting surgery on one foot in two weeks. getting fit and in shape for the summer is VERY important to me but i am TERRIFIED that this surgery will completely reverse all the exercise i have been doing to lose weight and get fit.

can anyone tell me when i can start exercising my body again? can i do pilates and upper body exercises and take it easy on my legs?

please help as i am very nervous and worried!

I recently had the surgery (Jan. 2) and I'm still in the boot and can't exercise. I've gained weight, since I can't exercise and can't WAIT to get started again! Your probably a lot more health conscious than I and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck.

Go to a physical therapist within weeks after surgery. The joints in my foot froze solid after surgery. The foot doc had said that this would happen. Unfortunately, he was not talkative and very quick about showing me how to move the toe. I was not moving close to the joint but higher up. !

Hello

I have recently had two bunions removed on my right foot and have been told that I can not excercise for at least ten weeks. Like you I like to keep in shape, but have not been able to do anything for about six weeks now & have gained half a stone.
Its not something that can be helped, I am just going to work extra hard to get the extra weight off once I am allowed back at the gym
I think you can go swimming earlier than ten weeks, once your scabs have healed & dropped off
Hoper this helps

Hi. I am also having bunion surgery on 9/14, and I've come to this forum to put my mind at ease. I'm having my right bunion removed, and a pin will be used to correct the alignment of my big toe.

I know that each person and surgery is unique, but could anyone here please share with me how awful your post-operative pain really was? My surgeon has only prescribed Vicoden for me, and I'm so afraid that may not be enough. Is bunion surgery really as painful as I've been hearing? If so, for how long??
I'd also appreciate if you could share for how long your foot was swollen, how long until you could drive, workout (for example: jog), and if you feel anything a year later.

I'm supposed to go back for my left foot as soon as possible. Any idea how long that will be?

I am prepared to stay in bed and to keep my foot elevated for as long as the doctor recommends. Any other tips on how to mentally prepare myself for what I'm about to have done? I'm VERY nervous, and need some consoling or support, but would love to hear from actual patients.
:)
THANK YOU in advance.

Had a bunion surgery done on my left foot 4 days ago. Don't have a picture for you but it was always referred to as a "moderate bunion". It was quite difficult to find shoes, it hurt after prolonged activity, and the big toe pushed against the rest of the toes, starting to overlap.
No pain during the surgery (due to the ankle block and general sedation), no pain after. I didn't even have to take painkillers...totally expected it to be a lot worse. I kept the foot elevated and iced all the time (my doc gave me an ice machine which is extremely helpful and beats a regular ice bag any time), and can walk in a surgical shoe with a slight discomfort. I'm a very active person (I run, bike, backpack), and always thought the surgery would be a huge deal...I've had my bunions since I was 12 (I'm 37 now)...shouldn't have waited for so long :-)

THank you so much for posting this!! I just had my first bunion surgery today. He didn't tell me to ice it.. There's so much gauze that I doubt the ice would reach the skin... How do you do it? And what's an ice machine please? I'll get one!!
THANK YOU AGAIN~!

Hey, you're welcome :-) Internet is full of horror stories, I thought I'd shuffle it up a little bit.
You're right, it seems that you're not going to be able to feel the cold through all the stuff on your foot but surprisingly I did, once the numbness wore off. In fact, the foot gets pretty darn cold! :-) I'm kind of hesitant to give the name of the machine that I use, don't want to advertise anything, but if you google thermal wrap systems, there's a bunch of them that comes up. It's basically a plastic container with a mixture of water and ice that pumps the cold liquid into a "wrap shoe" on your foot. Just call your doctor, he should be able to guide you to the right thing. I had no idea they existed )). It's fairly expensive, I don't know if you necessarily want to buy one, I guess I'm just lucky i was given it )). It's day 6 now, I've only used it twice today, just keeping my foot elevated. I've asked the doc yesterday (changed the bandages) if I should continue icing and he said it wouldn't hurt but I think the need for constant icing is over. Oh, and I actually looked at my foot yesterday. Was totally afraid to, but again, expected a lot worse. Bruised but not ugly. Not the prettiest foot on earth - never was- but heck it looks so much better. I didn't expect it to become super narrow- and it's not- but the big toe is a lot more straight, and the rest of the toes have room to kinda return back to their normal, not-pushed-in-a-corner, state. I'm supposed to stay in a surgical shoe for two more weeks; the doc actually encouraged me to wiggle toes as long as it doesn't hurt too much. No special exercises for the big toe so far, guessing it's still too early.
Good luck to you! Hope you're doing better, the first day is the hardest (or so they say :-))

You are sooo sweet! Thank you very much! I'm going in today to have the the dressing changed. It's day 3 for me.. not so bad at all... Just that Vicoden doesn't do anything for me, but wire me like coffee. I was hoping for a mellow effect, but that didn't happen. Been catching up on movies.. My phone's ringing now, which is SO frustrating.. I can only wobble over there with my crutches. haha.
Glad to hear you're having a good experience with this as well. BLESSINGS!!
I have the next foot as soon as the dr. will do it..
Thank you again!

I've decided to register not to post as a guest again. :-)
Glad to hear you're doing well! I only took vicodin once in my life for toothache and i was super drowsy but still in pain. It's amazing how differently people react to this stuff.
Tomorrow morning's going to be a week, I can walk slowly and even if I step on the bunion side it really is not bad at all. I can tell the toes are still a bit swollen but nothing grotesque. :-)
Hope your doctors' visit goes well!
Take care!

Had surgery 10/14/10 and I feel really good now just almost four weeks out. Looking forward to getting back to normal. It was my right foot and I did not drive for the first three weeks as my foot was to sore. Also, cannot wear normal shoes yet.

Congrats on the successful recovery!
Normal shoes may be a couple weeks away...I started wearing mine at 4.5 weeks post surgery and they were tight and pressed against the scar so don't rush it :-)
Congrats again, and keep us posted!

i had bunion surgery and a hammertoes corrected on my left foot 12/17/10. Despite elevation,my foot feels heavy and tingling.I am getting restless and sore laying in bed all day.I am non weight bearing for six weeks.I too am afraid of getting very fat laying around doing nothing.any advice on how any of you coped with this recovery would be greatly appreciated!

Hi. I had my second bunion surgery on 8 weeks ago, and I'm already able to run. Don't worry about gaining weight. Can you eat mostly lean protein? Chicken, fish, egg whites? and green veggies? If you eat healthily, you won't gain weight. I used to workout every day... but then I had my first foot surgery in September, and had to give up the cardio. You can always do sit ups, push ups, yoga, floor pilates, weights, etc. I was only off my feet for a week with each surgery. I have yet to resume the cardio, but like I mentioned, it's mostly in the eating.
Anyway, you've taken care of your feet, and once they heal, you can set a new goal for the rest of your body. You can always get your figure back, but your feet are done!! Blessings & try to appreciate the downtime. You're going to love your feet for once.

I had my right foot done 11 8 10 and tried to wear heels lastnight. super painful to get into them and once they were on couldnt bear all my weight. I was doing the p90x program befor surgery and was wondering when I should be able to restat back up. I still feel pain now and then and the big toe is a bit stiff, still havent dot the full range of motion back. I also had a tailors bunion removed but that side is fine. Waitting now for the doc to schedule for the left foot.