I am going to have bunion surgery in 4 days... i also have to a hammertoe next to that toe. My doc said that after the surgery i will be able to walk on it right away but i was wondring if anyone else has been told this and if they really could walk on it wihout severe pain. would i be able to go back to school and walk around on it 5 days post op and be fine or do you think i should get crutches or a wheel chair???

I had bunion surgery in both feet on Friday morning. It was wonderful. I feel some stiffness today (Monday) but I was not informed by my hub that I was not supposed to be taking my pain med every 4 hours starting as soon as I got home. My numbness has worn off now, as of yesterday, and that's why I'm feeling some discomfort....but now I'm out of heavy duty pain med so I'm just stuck w/ Tylenol. But I will tell you, I'm 40 yrs old, have had 3 extremely large babies (vaginally), a total abdominal hysterectomy, 3 laproscopes before that, a blood clot removed from my bladder caused from my hysterectomy and a deviated septom (sp) surgery probably 20 years ago and this bunion surgery was....a play in the park. Don't worry about a thing. I was so nervous, and it was nothing. Even the pain I'm having now, it's nothing to complain about. I don't know about the whole going back to school 5 days later, that's a question for your doctor. He sent me home w/ crutches, but seriously I have not used them at all. I'm walking around the house to the bathroom and for ice packs, sometimes w/ the boots, sometimes not, it's a little uncomfortable but not impossible, but then again, it's just around the house. If you're deadset on going back to school only 5 days later, I'd opt for a wheelchair. Good luck.