Hi Everyone
I'm hoping someone can help me with this healing process because I feel horrible. It's been 4 days since I had the pins removed from 2 toes and I'm still not able to walk . It hurts really bad to put any kind of pressure where the toes had pins in them. So I guess I'm wondering is this normal and if it is can you give me any ideas that might make walking easier. The doctor didn't wrap my foot after the pins where removed and even with the walking cast I could barley walk out of his office. Any advise would be helpful because in 2 weeks I'm having the other foot .

Hi there! The nature of surgery means that there will be pain and swelling, usually worse the night after surgery. However, with modern anaesthetic techniques and pain killers, this can be well controlled. The level of pain experienced varies greatly from patient to patient with some experiencing no significant discomfort. In the majority of cases, you should able to walk with the aid of crutches within 2-4 days but you will remain somewhat limited for the first two weeks. Some patients are able to return to wider shoes within two weeks with 60% of patients in shoes at six weeks and 90% in 8 weeks. This period is longer for arthrodesis as shoes cannot be worn until the wire/pin has been removed (generally 3-6 weeks). Swelling generally starts to reduce at 6-8 weeks and the foot will be beginning to feel more normal at 3 months although the healing process continues for one year. I hope this will help you and you'll get better soon