Hi everybody. I’m scheduled for bunion removal operation – I’ll have it in 6 days. I know almost everything there is to know about the procedure, but I’m interested to know more about post op symptoms... If anybody here had this operation, I would really appreciate your after op experiences. Thanks a lot.

I had one 8 months ago and, to be honest, everything went just fine. I really experienced no post-op pain. Also, I was able to resume my normal work and life 3-4 days after the procedure and my leg completely healed within 2 weeks. That is my experience but I know that some patients did have some trouble after the op. Most of them did experience some amount some pain but painkillers helped... Only few had leg problems and needed additional surgical procedure. Hope this helps.

i have had both feet done. my first surgery i experienced a lot of swelling and my stitches actually popped out on their own because of it. so my biggest advice is KEEP IT ELEVATED. i just had my second surgery 3 weeks ago and i stayed glued to the couch for the first 5 days and it helped greatly. i have had very little swelling and my stitches stayed in.

I had bunion surgery on May 30th. Local anaesthetic, it was horrible, It took an hour to numb the foot for the operation. If I had know how bad it would be I would have had a general and stayed overnight. I was in terrible pain after the op. the swelling was really very bad, and the pain killers supplied were no good. The pain lasted 3 day before it was bearable. Then the skin had a reaction to the stitches and the wound wound took much longer to heal than normal. I had to take antibiotics for three weeks. I was not supplied with any crutches, they told me they did not want their patients to do too much, and not giving out crutches meant they definately could not do much. The cut has :-( now finaly healed but I don't have much movement in the joints, which I am worried about. If I knew before what it would be like I certainly would not have had it done. :-(

yes i had bunion surgery july 11 2006 and its painful you cant walk on your feetyou cant get it wet i had to have strews put in to hold the bones together until it heals i had to stay out of work for 4 weeks and still out of work.

I had this surgery done back on the 19th of July for cosmetic purposes. The first week after op was HORRIBLE!! The pain was almost unbarable and the painkillers didn't help at all!! Sleeping was extremely difficult also. Not being able to lay right caused me toss and turn all night...Another thing that results with this surgery is anxiety. Trust me, you will have a lot of "when", "how long", and "what if" questions that you may think no one can answer. Don't worry though. Just keep in mind that the pain won't last forever and the results will be well beneficial...I'm in my 3rd week post surgery and my foot has healed tremendously. There's absoultely no pain it what-so-ever!! I have a pin that I can feel moving occasionally, but besides that, everything is pretty much back to normal....

If you didn't get anything from this, just know that this surgery has a very slow, uncomfortable recovery process and only have it done if you're seriously prepared to handle the pain. I hope your surgery goes well!!

I had bunion surgery one week and two days ago. My bunion was so bad I had to have screws put in also. The first week was just fine. Not much pain (pain killer worked well...Oxycodone), no bleeding or additional swelling. I went to the dr. for my one week checkup and they gave me the boot to wear. Well, I can't wear it because I can't bend my foot enough to get it into the boot all the way. My foot hurts to much to bend it or move it around much. Not what I had expected after one week. I'm kind of worried about that. I can't go back to work yet either, so I'm taking another week off. I think the surgery will be worth it in the long run, but waiting for it to heal and the anxiety that comes with it is so extremely hard. Crutches suck. I do have a little chairthough, that I use to roll around my house on, just so I can carry things from one room to another. It's my life saver! It really does help. I hate to say this, but if I'd known the recovery was going to be this long and hard, I probably would have thought twice about doing it. Good luck to you!

I am sorry to hear that people have had problems with their bunionectomies. I have had very little. I had a bilateral bunionectomy 9 days ago without screws and with the opening on the inside of my feet. I was weightbearing on day 3. I had a spinal block for the surgery and felt great afterwards. I have taken very few painkillers. By day 4 I was very mobile but did take rests to elevate my feet. I have had very little pain and have been doing toe exercises since day 4. On day 6 I hosted a dinner party for 15. Finding shoes to fit in the interim is a problem. The stitches come on day 10. I am looking forward to playing at least 9 holes of golf in 4 more days wearing golf sandals. There are some new techniques in bunionectomies so check out the procedure before you agree to it.

I am currently trying to make a decision for bunionectomies. I was wanting to have both feet done at once. But, my Doc is telling me that's illegal.

At any rate one foot or two - May I ask who your physicial was. I am in Colorado (so your reply may not help me). But I am very impressed with your outcome and procedure (opening on inside of your feet). Thanks for whatever information you can disclose.

HI EVERYBODY I HAD A BUNION REMOVED 2YEARS AGO EVERYTHING THAT COULD GO WRONG, WENT WRONG. FIRST THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT I COULD RETURN TOO WORK 2WEEKS AFTER TTHE SURGERY WAS DONE, I WAS OUT 4MONTHS, I EXPRERIENCED LOTS OF SWELLING,UNBAREABLE PAIN FOR THE FIRST MONTH EVERY TIME I WENT FOR MY WEEKLY VISIT HE TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS COMMON POSTOPT SYMPTOMS. I COMPLAINTED OF NOT BEING ABLE TOO STAND ON MY FOOT, HE TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD BE
ABLE TOO WEAR A NWEBLANCE SNEAKER BECAUSE NWEBLANCE WAS THE RECOMMENDED NUMBER 1 SNEAKER BY ALL DPM,S THAT THIS SHOULD HELD SO I WENT OUT AND GOT A PAIR THAT DIDNT HELP,AFTER THE FIFTH VISIT WITH THE SAME COMPLIANT HE THEN DECIDED TOO TAKE A XRAY HE RELIZED THAT ONE OF THE TWO SCREWS HAD BACKED OUT, SO THAT WAS THE SECOND SURGERY, THAT RELIEVED SOME PAIN AND MOST OF THE SWELLING AT THAT POINT I WAS ABLE TOO WEAR OPEN TOE SANDLES. I WAS STILL EXPRERIENCEING BIG TOE STFFNESS HE TOLD ME I NEEDED PT FOR THE NEXT 8 WEEKS I WENT 3 TIMES I COULD NOT BARE THE PAIN HE TOLD ME NO PAIN NO GAIN MEANING THAT I WOULD HAVE DEAL WITH IT (THE PAIN) SO I DECIDED TOO SEE ANOTHER DOC, HE SAID THAT HE WASENT QUITE SURE, SO HEDECOVERED THAT THE TOE WAS NOT ALINED THATS WHY I HAD THE STIFFNESS, THAT THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD WORK WAS SURGERY, THE THOUGHT OF HAVING ANOTHER SURGERY MADE ME WANNA KILL MY SELF. SO I WENT ON FOR 2YEARS WITHOUT HAVING IT DONE. THE FOOT WAS WORKING WITH STIFFNESS, A LITTLE TENDERNESS I LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE. NOW HERE I AM 2YEARS LATER OUT OF WORK AFTER HAVING SURGERY #3 BECAUSE THE SECOUND SCREW BACKED OUT,DOCS HAD TOO REMOVE PART OF THE BONE IN ORDER TO GETTHE TOE MOVING AGAIN. IF I HAD IT TO DO AGIAN I WOULD NOT. GOOD LUCK GOD BLESSED

It depends what types of surgery you have mine was oesteotomy

I had bunions removed on both feet 13 years ago and I am so glad I did. I was having difficulty walking at the age of 31 as my big toe was bending over my smaller toe and the bunions itself were really painful. I had the operation under a general and they broke my big toes and straightened them. I then had both feet in plaster for 6 weeks. Yes I experienced a great deal of pain but that is to be expected when a bone is broken. The pain only really lasted for the first 3 days and then subsided. By the 2nd week I was walking around in the special shoes they had given me on my crutches. Whilst the procedure I had was painful it was worth it as I no longer have painful feet when I am walking. Remember that no surgery guarantees painfree but if the results are what you require then it is worth it. I definitely feel the pain and length recovery period was worth it as I now am painfree and can wear all types of shoes comfortably.

Hi, Was wondering if anyone can give me an idea what the cost of bunion removal surgery is and did the insurance cover the fees? Thanks so much

Hi Guest,

Thanks for sharing. I was battling over the need to have the operation for one year already. I have bad bunions on my both feet 2 yrs ago and as I watch them everyday, it gets worsens each day to the point that my big toe starts to tilt and touch 2nd toe.

I had flat feet and my 6yrs of dancing had worsened it. Furthermore, I wear all sorts of shoes, even when the shape of shoes do not fit mine.

When I go trekking, I feel that my big toes are under a lot of strain so I position my weight on the four toes only. I have to do this consciously all the time. My big toes are not completely flat on ground.

Really is more than a cosmetic reason. I spoilt almost all the expensive shoes I wore with the constant rubbing by my big bunions. Big toes aches and I have to give massage to it sometimes.

I decide to go for the operation but will go along doctor's advice, to do one foot first.

I just had bunion and it seems to have gone well. I am week 3 post-op and have a pin in and a cast on my foot.

I am experiencing some "pins and needles" and tingling sensation in my foot and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?