I will have bunion surgery in a month. I am sincerely afraid of the consequences ... are there any recovery problems after surgery? When will I be able to wear shoes?

Hello!
Do not be afraid... I was there! And it hurts more if not having a surgery. Recovery has usually no complications; bunion surgery is actually routine with doctors. You’ll be in your shoes in 2 or 3 weeks; but not in high heeled shoes...this is to avoid. You ought to wear very comfortable and wide shoes. Maybe you have this fear because with traditional bunion surgery a return in shoes has often been delayed by pain, swelling, the inability to walk. This is not the case today!!! Today they use surgical screw, which significantly reduces pain and swelling.
Do not be scared. Everything will be just fine and you’ll be on your feel and in your shoes soon after the surgery.

im 15 years old im a female and i got to have that dne it think i gt to see the orthopaedic the 20th of july do you they will let me have it done

from kimx :?

i have had bunion surgery done on both feet now. living in england it seems its longer for the recovery process before you can wear shoes.
my 1st one i was in plaster for 6 weeks,and was another 6 weeks before i wore shoes.
the 2nd one was done different,i was in a bandage,with a special shoe,which i had to wear for 6 weeks before i could wear proper shoes.
my advice to you would be,DO NOT FORCE your foot into shoes if you cant get it on,everyone is different,but 3 weeks after surgery i think is wrong,after all they break the bone.
the other risk factor is that you can get blood clots,which is common after any surgery.
good luck with your operation.

Im 15 and i also have a bunion, when i get surgery will i be able to continue playing soccer and baseball??

"annette" I had bunion surgery twice this year and I'm glad I did. I had no complications other than the normal. the first one was in January and was the worst of my feet. That one did take longer to heal, but it's fine now. The second one i just recently had done and am still off from work. It's the beginning of my fourth week off and my doctor is very pleased with the way thing sare going I was walking on this foot by the end of the first week with crutches of course adn it has speeded up the recovery alot. ther is some minor discomfort but nothing that needs medication. Good luck

I just had the surgery yesterday, and for those of you who think the pain is mildly discomfort - you must be superwoman. I am in the most pain I have ever experienced. Vicodin and Percocet are both not working, and I can usually get through operations with little assistance from drugs. I am regretting my decision to have the operation.

I had bunion surgery on my left foot two weeks ago. So far I am very happy that I had the surgery. I am able to walk in my special shoe without crutches and although I do have some uncomfortable swelling, I do not have pain. The pain was the worst for the first two days, but Vicodin and bedrest worked like a charm.

My advice if you are normally an active person:
gather lots of reading material
sign up for netflix
find a craft project to occupy yourself

good luck! o.O

Hi, I had bunion surgery on both feet 3 weeks ago. I am still in alot of discomfort and am in a bunion shoe and walking with crutches. I cannot put weigh on my feet and have been home since. The doctor said it takes about 4 months to heel. No other side effects than slight pain and discomfort.

I, too, thought after the first two days "why did I have this surgery?" The pain was very intense. It stopped almost altogether after about five days. Now that I see my foot without the bunion when I go to the follow-up appointments with the podiatrist (surgeon), I am so pleased. The steri-strips (tape strips that secure the incision) were more pulling and irritating than the internal pain. I am now four weeks post-surgery, and I am walking in a velcro-strapped boot. I was in three different casts over the first three weeks--changed out each week. Keep your foot elevated as much as possible.

I had bunion surgery one week ago. Low level of pain, pain meds the first two days then nothing. I did overdo it by walking too much that caused some discomfort but once I sat my butt down, life was better. I am already planning the other foot to be done by end of year (same deductable year that is)

it is very different for everyone depending on the foot structure and cause of bunions. also, every doctor is different, understands the foot differently, and does the surgery differently. do your research always before jumping and doing the surgery on the process that will be done and the doctor himself. if can, try and find out how it went for other people from the same doctor.

those of you who are 15, if you have a doctor confidant in doing the surgery and ready to do it asap, pretty much under 21 i suggest you seriously second guess his or her motives. it is generally not recommended at all for teenagers to have this surgery for your bones are still developing and highly likely to come right back.

this is not a piece of cake surgery folks. make sure you know what you're doing. a lot of surgeons are always gonna be ready to cut if you're interested. get as many opinions as possible and never trust someone just cuz they're a doctor.

good luck and take care

Quote:

I am only 16 years old and I'm not sure about getting operated over the summer. Some doctores have advised me to get a shoe and not operate myself but that was when it wasn't as bad. What should I do????

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

Quote:

I had surgery Friday,1/12/06. I only had pain the following day, which was controlled with meds. I have just been reclining, icing my foot, and sleeping. Everyone recovers differently. Just give it some time. 8) 8)

Quote:

I agree with your posting regarding the amount of pain you are in. I had bunion surgery two and a half weeks ago, and I also had a huge amount of pain. On Monday, my surgeon's office removed staples and I was amazed at how painful it was. My foot looked like Frankenstein's. I have met NO ONE that says this surgery is an easy recovery, but I am hopeful to enjoy the results.
I too am on crutches. I did buy a better boot that has a better heel like a rocker (remember earth shoes?) on the bottom. Make sure to ask your surgeon and buy it. It is the best thing and now I am practicing putting weight on my heel with the crutches. I hope you heal soon, and remember- you will likely be able to walk pain-free when you recover. Best of Luck, Lilly

Oh I can't imagine walking any distance !!! I had the surgery on both feet at once - 2 weeks ago and am in pain. I take Lortab and it works well but it was very painful and I see a longer than wished for recovery. I am usually very active and going all the time - so this bed rest is getting old for me. I have to say - my feet look great!!! I am glad it is behind me - am riding to Beaufort SC this weekend for my grandaughter's 2nd birthday. Can't wait.