I am worried about my mother. Few days ago she was diagnosed with diabetes. She is 57 and never had problems with her health except the fact that she is overweight. Can someone tell me more about diabetes?

The reason why your mother has diabetes has something to do with the fact that she is overweight, I am sure about it. The good thing is that she will get proper treatment now. I will try to give you the information that you need. Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce insulin or properly use it. Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for our daily life. Type 1 diabetes results from the body's failure to produce insulin. This hormone unlocks the cells of the body, allowing glucose to enter and fuel them. Type 2 diabetes results from insulin resistance, combined with relative insulin deficiency. This is also a condition in which the body fails to properly use insulin. Diet is very important when it comes to treatment of diabetes because food intake affects the body's need for insulin and insulin's ability to lower blood sugar. I am sure that you mother will be ok.