Hi, I have a question. Is it okay taking insulin without eating? Does insulin have an effect if I haven't eaten anything? I'm not sure how this works. Can some explain this to me. I have on occasion taken my insulin and then forgot to eat. I didn't feel very well after that. I was very tired. I had to lay down and take a nap. One of my friends suggested that I should have at least had some juice but that was after the fact. Has anyone taken their insulin and not eaten? What happened to you? I'd like to hear your story if you're willing to share. Thanks.

Taking insulin is all about balancing you blood sugar levels. Eating food helps to raise you blood glucose levels while taking insulin helps to lower blood glucose levels. Insulin allows the cells in your body to take glucose in. So you take insulin before you eat. If you're not going to eat anything don't take insulin because this could bring about blood glucose levels that are way to low. It's not unlike not injecting enough insulin for the food you've eaten. You glucose levels will be too low. If you haven't eaten and took insulin you may feel very sleepy, jittery and experience brain fog. Your brain won't have enough energy to function properly. Nor will other organs in your body. It's possible that you pass out or even go into coma. These are very serious side effects of too much insulin. Try not to let this happen. If you have taken insulin and don't eat make sure you get some juice or some food in you to prevent nasty repercussions. You need to pay attention to your insulin intake at all times just as you need to monitor you diet and do your exercises. I hope this was helpful in some way. I can't stress enough that you should be very careful with your insulin and eating. Your life depends on it.

Are you a DIABETIC??? First of all insulin is not a drug or medication - what it is is a hormone controlling glucose in your body - Tupe 1 Diabetics (T1D) do not make this hormone so the glucose in their body will soar causing major problems - Type 2 diabetes (T2D) is different, it is when your body doesn’t produce enough insulin so injections of insulin or sometimes pills are needed but understand T2D doesn’t happen from just being fat or eating too much sugar, you have to have the genes fit it!!!
If you take insulin and then do not eat, you will have a low blood sugar aka insulin reaction/ too much insulin and not enough glucose - YOU NEED TO HAVE juice or regular soda and z carbohydrate, i.e. bread, crackers or granola bar don’t ever lay down and sleep, it’s surprising you survived - which makes me think you are not a T1D or T2D and if that is indeed the case and you are taking insulin to build muscle