Hi, on my last couple of checkups at the doctors, my sugar blood level was higher than normal. During this period my doctor has advised me to change my life style and to pay more attention to my diet and physical activity. Since this hasnt given any results, on my last visit I was prescribed with Glimepiride 2mg. What kind of drug is Glimepiride? Does this mean I have diabetes? I am a sixty years old woman.

Hi, Glimepiride is a drug used to treat diabetes. Because your blood sugar levels couldnt be controlled with diet and a more active life style your doctor didnt have any option, but to prescribe you with some drug. Glimepiride was his choice. In fact, Glimepiride is very often used as a first choice drug for people whose blood glucose levels cannot be lowered solely with the life style changes you made. The two milligram is the usual starting dose. This drug stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin. This hormone is very important in the process of glucose metabolism. Since your blood glucose level was high on more than few occasions, you probably have type two diabetes. I am surprised your doctor didnt talk to you about your condition. You should definitely discus this new situation with your physician. But, you shouldnt worry too much. With Glimepiride 2mg and the changes in your diet I am sure that your blood glucose level will soon get back to normal.