Hi, I suffer from diabetes, and every morning between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m, my sugar level increases. I don’t know if it’s normal, and should I do something about it. Have you experienced blood sugar increasing in the morning?

Hi, it happens often that blood sugar raises in the morning. This is called "dawn effect" or "dawn phenomenon" and no one knows exactly what causes it. You can try to prevent raising sugar in the morning by adjusting your dosage of medication or by switching to a different medication. Some doctors recommend taking extra insulin at night to increase its effectiveness. You can also get an insulin pump, which is good because you can program it to release insulin in the morning hours. Dawn effect is especially characteristic for people who are taking insulin. Some doctors think that sugar raises in the morning due to increased amounts of growth hormone, cortisol and catecholamines. These hormones increase sugar levels in blood, because they work against insulin's action to drop sugar.